New Vegas patch 1.01

Re: New Vegas patch 1.01

Postby dazzafett » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:45 pm

I think i will wait and play offline for a bit to see what happens with regards to another patch.

As for Death Claws i am going to steer well clear of those for the time being then.
Im only Level 5 at the mo as i was playing on the Very Hard difficulty and have been struggling to kill anything when there is more than one of them.
Even trying to clear out and free Primm took forever and a day to do due to such weak weapons and low ammo.
I have now decided that enough is enough and have lowered the difficulty down to Normal so that i can progress more steadily until i have got some better Guns and Perks ect
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Fallout is one of the few games in which I am willing to play on a mode other than 'Very Hard'. I ran through the entirety of Fallout 3 on that mode, and I came to the conclusion that it was basically a load of crap. It amounted to underpowering your weapons and making enemies extremely damaging, and extremely resilient. The the Super Mutant Overlords, a point blank headshot from my most powerful (non-explosive) weapon would barely scratch it at all. I once blasted my entire reserves of combat shotgun ammo at one lone enemy because it was doing that little damage, and of course a couple of hits from them would kill me. This is not encouraging skilled play, this is encouraging me to let Fawkes do all the work for me and it was just incredibly dull.

Instead, with New Vegas, I have opted to play on normal which I deem to be the most enjoyable difficulty. I do of course have Hardcore mode on though, which I feel to be a 'proper' difficulty mode as it actually makes me think about things. This is how it should have been.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dazzafett » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:22 pm

Totally agree Mark,
Very Hard just seemed stupidly difficult and i was getting so frustrated at times it may have marred my enjoyment so Normal seems much more sensible.
I am liking the Hardcore mode tho, It really adds depth having to take care of your character a lot more.
I like the fact that when you take Stims or eat water you have to wait a certain amount of time for them to take full effect.

I also like the fact that you have to be careful about what you eat too as although some food will lower your starvation it will at the same time increase your dehydration and sleep deprivation. This means you have to be more aware of the balance and it also encourages you to create your own recipes at the campfires to get a much bigger benefit.
Of course that then also means you have to be more aware of how much stuff you can carry about with you.

Also the fact that ammo now weighs something you cant get away with just picking up all ammo and carrying it even if you rarely use that gun weapon type so you need to plan ahead a bit more and only take what you need on quests.
You can always breakdown ammo into its different components and make more ammo of the type you need which is a really cool feature too IMO.

Big Thumbs up on the Hardcore mode from me :D
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:25 pm

One of my favourite things about it is that you can no longer restore limb condition with Stimpacks. That made the whole crippling mechanic somewhat irrelevant in Fallout 3.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dazzafett » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:34 pm

It certainly did,
And it makes the Adamantium skeleton perk even more valuable in NV
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:37 pm

I should probably acquire that at some point, would come in very handy.

I've also just discovered you can have at least two companions with you at once, which is an interesting change, could make for some interesting fights.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dazzafett » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:06 am

I've still not got that far into the game to get companions yet LOL
Didn't have much time to play last night as it was my regular W@W slot with my Brother and Mate but i did manage to pop on
for a short time afterwards.
All i did in the end tho was play Caravan against Ringo.
Now that i have learnt how to play its much easier to win and i finished the night with 20 wins out of the 30 needed for the Trophy.

BTW when i popped the game in i had forgotten to log out of PSN first. However it did not ask me to install the new patch which means that they have either withdrawn it or that i must have already installed it without realizing at some point over the weekend.
How can i check?
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby krusteh » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 am

i have finished New Vegas now, may play a bit more to collect some trophies, but in total i have frozen about 8 times. annoying.
Deathclaws are a bitch, as are Cazadors, deathclaws are out of the way (just at the quarry by sloan) i think, so i don't bother with them, but the cazadors seem to be on almost every path towards a vault. which just gets annoying because i cannot kill those bitches easily
krusteh
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Dazza, you should be able to tell by going into your Game Data, highlighting New Vegas and selecting Information. Should show you the version there.

Krusteh, it is by far the Cazadores that are giving me the most problems. I just can't seem to cause them much damage with any of my weapons, even with AP ammo, bar my melee weapon which is useless against a group of them. And they are nearly always in a group. I find it difficult to get sneak criticals on them too because they move around so much.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rayne » Sat May 07, 2011 6:29 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:Installed it yet?

If you haven't I would advise you not to. If you have I would advise you to delete it.

It wasn't too bad before the patch, brief freezes every now and then but it was no big deal. Then 1.01 comes along and I have to hard reset twice in ten minutes. Accursed thing freezes if I even try to enter VADS. Simple press of R2 and BAM, frozen console. Currently reinstalling game data after deleting the patch. Sigh.

I know Bethesda are notorious for releasing buggy products but this is taking it to a new level. Worse at patching than even IW.
Bravo, Bethesda. Can your PS3 programmers count to potato?

Even though this post is from like 9235 years ago, I feel the need to correct you here, as I HATE when people give Bethesda shit for New Vegas:

New Vegas was Developed by OBSIDIAN (They were Black Isle Studios way back when, the original makers of Fallout 1 & 2), not Bethesda.
All bugs, glitches, fuck ups, and bad patches are a result from OBSIDIAN.
Rayne
Corporal
Corporal

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout