Will you be buying Medal of Honor?

Re: Will you be buying Medal of Honor?

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Nice one GJ, thanks a lot. The SP sounds great, I can't wait to give it a try. I fully agree with you about being sick of games being compared to CoD, it's annoying. Much in the same way that every open world game was compared to GTA at one point.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jloco11 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Honestly, games should now come with SP, MP and Co-op reviews now... and then an overall (opinion) rating that gives us the reviewer's take on the product as a whole.

There are some games that excel in MP, some that excel in SP and some that are average in everything, with some consumers basing their decision to buy on what mode they prefer to play.

Scores of games are relatively meaningless, especially because it comes from 1 reviewer and not a consensus take on the game. What I look for in a review is the content of gameplay.

Taking into account what I said earlier about rating the different modes, the reviews have all said the same about MP. It's ok, but not a COD killer in anyway. Fans of Battlefield will find it more appealing than a fan of COD. Nothing wrong with that, the game is what it is.

SP reviews have said the same thing regarding the campaign. Enemy AI is very weak compared to other shooting games. The old "pop out of cover in the same place over and over again" is something complained about from games 3-4 years ago. Games like Uncharted, Killzone & Halo created smart AI that will vary it's methods of attack and keep things random. MOH reviews have said the opposite.

The numerical scores have all directly related to the reviewers thoughts on the sensitivity of the campaign. Current conflict, set against some of the real world dangers troops are facing and real world obstacles they see. Those that appreciated it, gave the campaign a good score. Those that didn't marked it down... hence why you can't put too much weight on a numerical score.

Bugs and glitches are always annoying, and reviewers have noticed that too. Let's face it, no game is perfect and there will be bugs, frame rate problems, screen tearing etc... just a matter of how many technical issues are in the game. So far none say it's a deal breaker, but some reviews have said it's enough to be annoying at the very least.

Mixed reviews = average game. Not universally bad, not universally great, but in today's gaming market average doesn't cut it. Not with 5-10 AAA games per year and MP packages to keep gamers attention for months.
jloco11

Postby dahawk » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:38 am

imo the negative reviews are such bull shit, my reccomendation is decide for yourself.
if you dont want to buy it, rent it, try it, and if you like it get the game. If you dont, then you got to experience it yourself right? much better than relying on someone else's opinion.
The campaign was the most intense and fun one ive ever played. i'd share a few of the moments but i wouldnt want to spoil anything.

ok, one thing, ring ring...
that is all.
dahawk

Postby deathbynumbers » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:35 pm

Imho - Medal of Honour is a great game, I haven't yet tried the mp so I will stick the the sp but I will say this; it is worth buying. However, I can't dismiss the negative aspects of some reviews as bullshit as there are a few flaws I have experienced that just have to take a few marks away. It manages to feel more realistic and involving than Call of Duty (any of them) but at the same time it feels much less realistic - I know that sounds strange but it's exactly how I feel.

The graphics are very good in total, everything looks really nice - I can't see why people are slating them as they are as good as any fps I have ever tried. The controls are nice, they add a bit of weight not unlike Killzone 2, but in a totally different way and it doesn't feel clunky or like you have to slap the stick full right to get a slight bit of movement in that direction - obviously I haven't had much time to alter the controls so I'm referring to a default setup. The story so far is great, and the voice acting is good. I like the feel of the weapons, and the amount of feedback you get from the controller when firing.

There are a few annoying graphical glitches that I have come up against - walking past a window I kept noticing a flash of light on the screen, either like a chunky lightning bolt or at other times a complete white flash on the screen. Now after more research I have found that this happens at all windows, if you spin in a circle next to a window, you will see a flash of light for every rotation - this is pretty annoying and should have been fixed. Whenever you are running into cover, you slide across the floor if you hit circle, now the first time I saw this I thought - "Cool", but it is annoying me now and the way it is done detracts from the realism - you always seem to slide for the same distance and it's like a 'glide' so smooth and effortless that it feels a bit crappy and out of place with the surroundings - I know I wouldn't glide on concrete or sand - would you? Again I don't know how much the controls can be changed but I'll be looking into it. Auto-aim is way over the top too, I ran down a corridor snapping L1 and R1 and got the 7 head shots in a row trophy without aiming....

The AI also needs a tiny bit of work, with 3 members of my team shooting at a guy from behind the same barrel when he was on the other side...the character animations vary from being really good to really quite poor, one of my team stood waiting for me to kick in a door and his head just kept looping and nodding backwards and forwards in the same animation like he was an extra from a wax-works museum. People are complaining about the length of the campaign - I'm going to say this is a direct result of the AI, never once have I felt threatened on Hard, quite a few times I have re-loaded an LMG in the open and didn't feel at all like I was being shot at, even though I was; they were just missing me. I've tested though and it is quite easy to die, but the enemy just don't feel like they are doing a decent job of aiming, shooting and putting me down. I would have preferred more of a challenge - yes this would have artificially lengthened the campaign but so fucking what, hard is meant to be just that - hard.

Because of this I can see why reviewers have given it 8 out of 10, it's what I would give it. With a tiny bit of polish it could easily have been a 9 or even a 10. Now if you take those reviewers who prefer the CoD franchise, and say the highest mark they would give a great fps was 8, and then take away those same 2 marks that I am - you get to understand the few 6's as well. I don't agree with them, in no way is it a 6, but I see why it's happened.

As I play it more I will be in more of a position to give a full-review but at the minute it's how I feel and I know a lot of you want to know whether or not it's worth it, I would say, as I said at the start it is worth a purchase and I am very glad I bought it but I am also very glad I got it for £29.
deathbynumbers

Postby greasedupbadger » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:38 am

Rented it last night, after updating, installing game data and sitting through a 5 minute cut scene SP got turned off. Played 2 TDM games and thought it was pretty good. Not sure which maps, first was a small town? and second was like a bunker complex, both seemed quite small and the action was pretty quick. M24 sniper rifle (Bolt Action) is a 1 hit kill and the grenades seem weak, nor can you throw them very far. Knifing and crouch are back to the same as CoD controls but i found out that L2 equips the tube on the AK when i tried to throw a flash/stun. With it being 12 a side, games are over quick and the kills seemed evenly spread between the team. I'll be back on tonight for more MP and to try the other gametypes, anyone on to party up with?
greasedupbadger
Administrator
Administrator

Postby saint1970 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:11 am

give me a shout badger, plus anyone else i reckon
saint1970
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gigitygigity » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 am

Well as you all know. It's pretty unusual to see me playing anything else but CoD games.

But, I have to say. I really like MoH. It's such a nice change from MW2. All the things that piss me off about Mw2 are not in MoH. I've had two knife deaths so far, both from behind and one n00b tube death. I could get that in the first minute of any MW2 game. Sure it's a bit 'clunky' feeling i.e. doesn't flow quiet as smoothly as MW2 but generally it's a nice change. Not that I'll be giving up on MW2. 6500 more kills too 100,000 is spurring me on and that should keep me busy to BO release. But yeah, quiet like it.

A couple of odd things I've noticed though.

I had a game freeze the whole PS3 when checking the scores, just like in the beta, so thought that would be fixed.

Played some of the 'domination' (can't remember what they call it) type matches last night. There were two full teams then the next match it was 6 vs 3 and that's how the match started and to make it even worse. the next match was 6 vs 2 which apart from the obvious win. Was pretty dull to say the least.

So in my own opinion. A nice change of pace, not a replacement for CoD but certainly quiet entertaining and a good alternative.
gigitygigity

Postby Musashi1596 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Remember what I said about IGN in this thread? There's a reason I don't trust them. http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/ ... onest.html
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Medal of Honor