A look back at: Assassin's Creed

A look back at: Assassin's Creed

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Assassin’s Creed has evolved into a much loved gaming series. The first title was released early in the PS3’s life, and incidentally was one of the games that came with my console. Probably the second PS3 game I ever played (after Resistance: Fall of Man) I was blown away by the game’s setting, already impressed by the game’s traile before even getting my console. A detailed rendition of the Holy Land of the Third Crusade had me, a lover of history, utterly engaged, and seeing huge numbers of civilians, soldiers and Templars walking about amazed me, even on the low quality TV I was using at the time. I took great delight in exploring and seeking out every synchronisation point, absorbed in the setting and marvelling at its new and innovative gameplay. Being able to climb everywhere and run over rooftops was refreshing and gave a sense of freedom I’d never had from a game before, and the game nailed the concept of hiding in plain sight.

The wonderment didn’t last all that long though. As much as I still have a fond place for the first Assassin’s Creed game, looking back, it was really a matter of style over substance. The game’s story, while hinting of the possibilities that would later be explored in subsequent titles, wasn’t really developed very well and lead character Desmond Miles was utterly free of charisma. As was his ancestor Altair, whose personality was barely developed beyond losing his initial brash arrogance. Combat became an often dull breeze once you figured out how to counter consistently, and there was crushingly little variety in the tasks you had to carry out. You can only sit on a bench and listen to conversation so many times before you lose interest completely. And all this while being hounded by ‘The Beggar’, one of gaming’s most omnipresent and irritating characters to date.

If you somehow survive the constant barrage of Josie Lawrence asking you for money and throwing rocks at you, and finish the game, the ending chapters are really rather good and pave the way for the excellent Assassin’s Creed 2, with the end being covered with secret messages and clues that left fans playing detective to try and work out the details of the sequel. Assassin’s Creed will always be an important game, and one I’ll always have a nostalgic fondness for, but it’s hard to describe it as a ‘good’ game beyond the initial stages.

Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A look back at: Assassin's Creed

Postby Neoroman » Mon May 14, 2012 4:21 am

Never played the first one or Revelations. Feels like I'm missing out on so much.
"Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change."

Neoroman
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby GoD_GraveDancer » Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm

AC always caught my eye in the store when it first came out. I was intrigued by it, but never gave it a shot. I picked up the second one when it came out and was blown away by the game play, open world, and history. Finished the second and decided to give the first a try. I could never get hooked on it and set it aside after a few hours. AC seemed so inferior to is sequel yet more complex at the same time. Finding 100 feathers was a huge PITA on 2, but trying to find 50 flags for 1,000 different tribes (or whatever they were) made me soon loose interest in the first.
GoD_GraveDancer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dazzafett » Tue May 15, 2012 2:46 pm

I have still not played any of the AC games yet but i do still want to.
I have the first 3 games and they remain on my to do list but i would want to do them in order for the story but every time i
go to start a new game from my backlog i look at AC1 and think Meh No Trophies and then opt for a different game instead LOL
I have too many games backing up that i want to play that have Trophies so it may still be some time before i get around to putting AC1 in the machine.

Now if they were to just release a Trophy patch for the first game then it would be problem solved LOL
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby jdot07 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Know what you mean Mus, AC was so repetitive but still holds meaning with me probably because it was my first PS3 game and the same with Altair, seems so bland and boring to some but to me he was just arrogant, self-centered and impatient, characteristics which just made him more bad ass in my opinion.
jdot07

Return to Articles