A look back at: Bioshock

A look back at: Bioshock

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:15 pm

We're lucky to have Bioshock on the PS3 at all, really. Originally billed as a 360 exclusive, it eventually came to the PS3 with a couple of new tricks up its sleeve, and what a relief it did. Bioshock has one of the most well realised settings in the current generation of gaming; Rapture, a failed underwater utopia ravaged by its insane residents, half destroyed by a civil war fuelled by genetically modified, almost magical augments granted by Plasmids. You start the game a victim of a plane crash over the Atlantic ocean, and entering Rapture for the first time is a striking moment. Guided by one of the still-sane residents, you fight your way through the Splicer-infested ruins of the city, taking on new abilities as you went that opened up a world of possibility. If your guns weren't putting people down quickly enough, you always had the option to, say, throw heavy objects at them with Telekenesis, lure them into water and fry them with Electro Bolt, or get the vicious splicers to turn on each other with Enrage.

Of course to get those abilities in the first place you need the Adam to buy them with, something you can only get from Little Sisters, the diminutive and quintessentially creepy Adam harvesters. The game supposedly offers you a moral choice, kill them to extract more Adam or save them for a lesser payoff, but being that the latter choice results in a greater overall reward there's very little weight to it beyond affecting the ending (and indeed your own conscience). Protecting the little sisters you have the iconic Big Daddies, the most dangerous enemies in Rapture (who are well mannered enough to only attack you if provoked); something quickly established when you witness one turn his attention to an Adam hungry splicer. Always packing either a giant drill or rivet gun, they cut a fearsome figure, often requiring inventive approaches to take down. At least, until you figure out how to kill them easily.

No less memorable are the encounters you have with some of the 'boss' Splicers, seeing their previous passions cranked up to levels of insanity by their damaged brains, whether they be a plastic surgeon or an artist. Exploring Rapture and uncovering its history through audio tapes is a compelling and often morbid experience, especially when you sit observe some of the behaviour of the brilliantly designed Splicers. A standout moment occurs near the start of the game when you see a splicer singing a lullaby into a pram, and when you get close you see that the pram housed not a baby, but a revolver. Bioshock's story is still cited for its excellence, with 'that twist' being especially famous, and Rapture itself tells a great deal of it.

Following Bioshock we had the arguably unncessary Bioshock 2, this time playing as the first successful Big Daddy. The storyline wasn't as gripping as the first game, but exploring a Rapture which, like its residents, is now even more ravaged by decay is still interesting, if not able to replicate the wonderment of the first time you did it. Looking at the Big Daddy-Little Sister bond is an interesting direction for the story to take, and the new Big Sister enemy is just as deadly as the old Big Daddies, only without the bulk. The multiplayer was nothing impressive, but as a premise it made sense, set during the Civil War, and it had some interesting features. The upcoming Bioshock Infinite finally ditches Rapture in favour of a new, floating city. With a markedly different setting and fresh plot it'll probably be a far more notable experience than Bioshock 2 but whether it can capture the magic of the first title is yet to be seen.

Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A look back at: Bioshock

Postby GoD_GraveDancer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Nice. Ready to read your playthrough on Infinite. This has gotten me craving some Splicer madness now. Might have to dig around and see if I still have Bioshock 2.
You were right about the multiplayer - it sucked.
GoD_GraveDancer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm

GoD_GraveDancer wrote:Nice. Ready to read your playthrough on Infinite. This has gotten me craving some Splicer madness now. Might have to dig around and see if I still have Bioshock 2.
Not only did it suck but it had one of the dreaded 'Reach Rank 50' trophies.

That was not a fun time.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby GoD_GraveDancer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 am

Musashi1596 wrote:
GoD_GraveDancer wrote:Nice. Ready to read your playthrough on Infinite. This has gotten me craving some Splicer madness now. Might have to dig around and see if I still have Bioshock 2.
Not only did it suck but it had one of the dreaded 'Reach Rank 50' trophies.

That was not a fun time.

I tried to get that one, but stopped around level 25 or so. I did like setting different traps in MP. They are the only thing that got me that far.
GoD_GraveDancer
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Articles