Terrible Trophies: 3D Dot Game Heroes

Terrible Trophies: 3D Dot Game Heroes

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:12 am

'Terrible Trophies' is a new attempt at a feature wherein I look at some of the worst trophies I've seen to date in my ongoing quest to completely finish my games, and more relevantly, what I endured to achieve them. Feedback would be appreciated (Namely, do any of you care?).

Anyway.

Obtain All Swords (Gold)

On the surface, this seems like a simple collection trophy which, as all developers know, are always fun. In 3D Dot Game Heroes, weapons are generally received through exploration, quest rewards or through purchase, whether through regular currency or special blocks. However, a minority of weapons are unlocked via the minigames, of which there are three types; tower defence, dash circuit and a Breakout-style game. The Dash Circuit is where the fun really lies though. In order to unlock the sword required for this trophy, you need to best the high scores set for all three tracks. Unfortunately for the player, these scores are evil.

One of the most terrible things about this is, like absolutely everything in gaming, it's considerably worse for owners of the EU version. I can't speak for the Japanese version, but in the US, developer From Software actually patched the game to give around five extra seconds on the high scores, because the normal ones were just so brutally difficult. That's right, it was so unreasonably merciless, the developers caved it and patched the game to make it attainable. But of course, we Europeans receive no such mollycoddling and have to deal with it in its original state.

It's no secret that I like a challenge, but the Dash Courses were the epitome of infuriating. Seemingly designed in such a way that you would finish the course with a third of a second over the high score 9 times out of 10, it was completely unforgiving of mistakes. You were allowed one mistake, max, but only if you made it at a particular time, and recovered perfectly. Mistakes were easy to make, because you were navigating narrow pathways with turns everywhere at a gradual rate of acceleration that eventually comes close to breaking the speed of light without the aid of CERN. If you're using a small character you're pretty much screwed, because no matter what your character is assumed to have certain dimensions, so if that invisible bulk your character doesn't know about nicks a barrier, it's all over. In the end, I changed my character (a nice Armored Core-style mech) to a huge white cube that took up every possibly square in the character creation, and there was still a few pixels either side of it that would get caught by barriers.I even inputted an ingame code that stops your character from swaying side to side when they walk (purely cosmetic) because that is really distracting when you're trying to process the course.

With all three courses combined, I have no idea how many tries it took me but I'm guessing well over a hundred. Being on track for a new high score and then colliding with a palm tree (that you didn't even touch) just a heartbeat away from the finish line is beyong frustrating, but at the same time, knowing you finished it with the same settings that had to get toned down in the US is pretty satisfying.

Honourable Mention: Spelunker Extraordinaire! (Gold)
There's an unlockable difficulty setting in 3DDGH, Spelunker Mode, and you get this trophy for finishing the game with it. What's the deal with Spelunker? Well, our unfortunate hero can only take one hit. That's right, you have to complete the entire game without getting hit a single time, and it's just as fun as it sounds.

I have also reviewed 3D Dot Game Heroes at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=102591
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Terrible Trophies: 3D Dot Game Heroes

Postby Axikal » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:21 am

Brilliant idea. Next has to be the Idle trophy from Saw 2

Axikal
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Axikal wrote:Brilliant idea. Next has to be the Idle trophy from Saw 2
No, because I haven't got that :P
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arnold Sideways » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Surely one of them has to be Strong Closer. Or Abstergo Employee of the Month.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Return to Articles