Terrible Trophies: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Terrible Trophies: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Abstergo Employee of the Month (Bronze)

Assassin's Creed is not a series with particularly difficult gameplay, and consequently, the games tend to have fairly easy platinums. This is mostly true for AC Brotherhood, which features a disappointingly easy array of story mode trophies. However, introduce a multiplayer mode, and suddenly it's a completely different story. Whether or not Brotherhood's multiplayer was actually any good is a matter of some debate but I personally did not get on well with it for various reasons. Almost as if to parody the simplistic single player selection, Brotherhood's multiplayer trophies were utterly unnecessary in their harshness. For starters, it featured the dreaded 'Reach rank 50' trophy, which is seemingly the go-to option for developers with no imagination (or conscience). But I can't even complain about this one much because I was playing it long after I hit rank 50 to finish the other multiplayer trophies. By far the worst was Abstergo Employee of the Month.

It might not sound like much, but this requires you to get every type of multiplayer bonus at least once. Unfortunately, these bonuses also include 'Extreme Variety', which much as the title implies requires you to take an especially original approach to offing your multiplayer rivals. The problems are caused mainly by Rule Number One of online gaming; that is, randoms are idiots. It was difficult to get bonuses when the rest of the players were just running about on rooftops, or getting killed by another player just before you slide your hidden blade between their ribs for a kill that would have netted you a cool five bonuses. With Extreme Variety so reliant on the behaviour of your enemies, it could be beyond infuriating, especially as it was so common to get close to 15.

Then there are the gameplay obstacles to overcome. First there's the ludicrously inconsistent stunning system that often meant you'd lose out on several bonuses because your fancy dropping assassination somehow ended up with you being punched in the temples and then kicked by another player as you writhe around on the floor. To compound matters you had the various abilities available that made things really difficult sometimes. Sneaking up on a target is all well and good until he uses Templar Vision to make you glow just slightly less brightly than one of BF3's tactical lights. Only blue, and filled with dejection. With each match only lasting a short amount of time, it was a tall order to hit 15 bonuses in one match because of the simple ease with which absolutely everything can go wrong.

I was very pleased when I got this trophy because I worked damn hard for it (the match in which I got it was a moment of pure elation as I realised I never had to play another minute of this bastard multiplayer), but the worst thing is, it's only a difficult trophy to get if you try to get it legitimately, because it can be boosted in a private lobby with no trouble at all. I constantly see people asking for eight volunteers to help them cheat their way to victory, and I seethe with rage a little every time I see it. I wouldn't be surprised if as little as 10% of the people who got this trophy did it legitimately, in a public lobby, against people who were trying to stop them.

And all of this for a measly bronze!

The Doctor looks on with sadness as his designated target (patient?) prepares to learn the dangers of scenic routes.

(dis)Honourable Mention: Strong Closer (Bronze)

This required you to take the lead and win in the last 30 seconds of a match. Not only was it incredibly difficult to keep in second place and with a score that was just under the top player's, it was incredibly difficult to securely prepare a kill to boost you into the lead in those 30 seconds. What with the usual suspects of your target going for an impromptu 200m sprint, or being shot with a hidden gun from several rooftops away just before you make the kill, this really just became a matter of sheer luck, something that never ever bodes well for me. The worst thing was, it was strictly on an individual basis; playing with Arnold Sideways, who also needed the trophy, I took our two-man team to victory in closing second of a match and got the trophy. He, my teammate and notable sharer of victory, did not. Poor bugger.

And again, a Bronze. I mean come on, you get a Silver for doing the first DNA sequence. Oh, Ubisoft.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Terrible Trophies: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Postby jdot07 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Nice little read there Mus, dunna why i aint seen it before.
jdot07

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:44 pm

Well said, I have neither of these, was hoping I would get them naturally with a bit of luck, but from reading what you've said the variation one was never going to happen without some serious planning as well as good luck. As for strong closer, think I came close a few times, but always had victory snatched away at the last second.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:The worst thing was, it was strictly on an individual basis; playing with Arnold Sideways. who also needed the trophy, I took our two-man team to victory in closing second of a match and got the trophy. He, my teammate and notable sharer of victory, did not. Poor bugger.

I still have nightmares about this.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby el spazzy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Arnold Sideways wrote:
Musashi1596 wrote:The worst thing was, it was strictly on an individual basis; playing with Arnold Sideways. who also needed the trophy, I took our two-man team to victory in closing second of a match and got the trophy. He, my teammate and notable sharer of victory, did not. Poor bugger.

I still have nightmares about this.

el spazzy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Seriously, it was so painful. Especially the amount of time I spent trying to help Mark get a few easy bonuses (which is harder than it sounds when we couldn't use the headsets), only for him to fall slightly short so often. And then even worse when he got the trophy in a game where he killed me maybe once.

Never again.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Return to Articles