Terrible Trophies: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Terrible Trophies: Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Six Digits?!? -Gold
Kill 100,000 zombies (Host Only)

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had been planning to write an entry for the Dead Rising 2 trophy ‘Zombie Genocide Master’. Then, I got Off the Record, and that game’s equivalent trophy decided to up the monotony, just because. And so I find myself writing about this trophy instead. Incidentally I have not actually got the plat for this yet. Co-op trophies, you know the story. Despite the increased kill count, this trophy is actually easier than its predecessor, only compounding the irritation. In the original Dead Rising 2, you were up against a time limit, and you had to work pretty efficiently to get all 75,000 kills within that limit. Essentially this involved finding all of the magazines that increased your vehicle durability, and driving up and down the central area of the game for something over 6 hours in your vehicle of choice. I favoured the Slicecycle over the SUV because… Well, because it’s a motorcycle with chainsaws strapped to it.

The sandbox mode in Off the Record removes that time limit, and with it, any notion of the challenge. It’s no longer about efficient driving and time management, it’s just an exercise in tedium. While it may not have caused me as much anguish as the titles in my other articles, this one takes the crowning spot for sheer, unrelenting boredom, making you drive for hours on end, occasionally stopping to fight off some idiot redneck snipers or a crazed survivor. The four snipers are infuriating; though the SUV protects you, Slicecycle riders can be shot off the bike with unerring accuracy, so as soon as they appear you have to go and deal with them… Repeatedly. Because they don’t stay dead when you kill them, they just respawn later, all trigger happy and pumped full of patriotism.

Should they happen to be able to kill you for whatever reason (like, say, becauase you can’t interrupt their attack animation, or because their hitboxes are ludicrously large, or even those nifty frames of invincibility that they have), you better hope you had saved recently or you’re going to lose a fair amount of kills. I lost about 20,000 kills total to unfortunate and unnecessary deaths (my own fault, granted, although enemies with guns play havoc with you when you’re trying to use a health item. Hey, monotony brings complacency) and a further 20,000 or so because my console froze (losing me a large amount of challenge progress as well) so suffice to say, I grew rather tired of this trophy, very quickly. Especially considering the 75,000 kills I’d already gotten doing the exact same thing in the original game. Oh, and it has a trophy icon of rather questionable quality.

On the plus side, it can’t be boosted!

Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Articles