Code Name NGP..

Code Name NGP..

Postby mahaffy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:38 am

"Ultimate portable entertainment is coming"
So we are getiing a new PSP.. or NPG as Sony is calling this one, but it also know as the PSP 2...It was announced on 27 january 2011 at a conference in Tokyo

This thing will arrive in the end of this year and so far it's looking awesome! Sony says "It's designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that only PlayStation can deliver" This sound good and after reading about it and looking some vids it's looking cool! What they have done with this NPG is that they have mixed both PSP's and Playstation 3 wich should offer rich gaming and social connectivity

Quote from Sony "Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of the PlayStation DNA, and NGP is the lastest embodiment of this vision. By having both wireless and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to connect, share and play with friends wherever they are"

The NGP will have a beautiful 5 inch multi touch screen and finally 2 analog sticks or "Dual Analog Sticks"! the other was fucking impossible to move around on the old PSP..
Toghether with all this smart new connection it will for every game title come with a space called LiveArea. this is somekind of "space" where users can share "fun and excitement" users will also have acces to the latest information about games from developers and publishers via PS network.

The NGP will have 2 cameras on in the front and one rear of the system. the NGP will also come with 3motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass as Sony says " Designed to enable users to enjoy a world of entertainment that is linked with real life experience" .. wooow there is a lot of things in that little machine! one of the things i saw in a vid was the motion sensor thing on the back that when you touched it it made something specific in the game it looked amezing but i dont really know how good it'll work?
When all this was announced they also told about the new PS Suite – “The newly developed and released game content for Android based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP”… now this sounds sweet! That’s something I’d like to try!

I got a little surprised when one of my mates came ansd told me "the new psp should be more powerfull than the Ps3.." .. i didnt belive this and i still dont why would you make that more powerfull than the Ps3 and is that even possible ? well this was something he have read on a website sooooo....probably not true but who knows

Specifications for NGP
CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU: SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screens (Touch Screen): 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, approx. 16 million colours, OLED multi touch screen, capacitive type
Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad, capacitive type
Cameras: Front camera, rear camera
Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone
Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), three-axis electronic compass
Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1) (Wireless), (Infrastructure Mode/Ad Hoc Mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Last edited by mahaffy on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mahaffy
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Re: Code Name NGP..

Postby Emmo2gee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:56 am

Copy pasta much?

It's said to have the same processor as the PS3, pretty narce.
Emmo2gee
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Postby mahaffy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:31 am

Emmo2gee wrote:Copy pasta much?

It's said to have the same processor as the PS3, pretty narce.

Only took a few quotes from Sony and then the Specifications for NGP
i wrote the rest myself.. only read about it on my Ps3.. anyway to copy pasta from Ps3 to Prestige Gamerz?
mahaffy
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Gosu360 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:03 pm

I love copy pasta. Here, here's some...

The supposed “PS3 level” power of Sony’s newly announced NGP is being called into question, with technical analysis of its capabilities suggesting it is not nearly as impressive as it is hyped to be, and that it is already in imminent danger of being eclipsed by smartphones and tablets using the very same chipset it employs.
The commentary in question, from a long and quite technical analysis of the NGP announcement:

Will the NGP’s lifespan be a long one?
Put simply, the NGP’s looks feature packed and very powerful, more than enough to meet the challenge of other handhelds and smartphones. SCE appears to be investing a lot in the NGP from the start, in order to put up a good fight.
However, if we look past the hype, the capabilities of the NGP are not actually all that good. Of course, there is no way it approaches those of the PS3 either.
One major issue is that the combo of ARM Cortex-A CPU + PowerVR SGX GPU is already becoming a popular choice in smartphones and tablets. In other words, the NGP’s performance is directly comparable to those of smartphones and tablets.
This time, SCE could simply not afford the cost of developing its own CPU and GPU combo, and had to bring in a pre-existing architecture.
As a result, just looking at the chipset used shows that the uniqueness of its capabilities has been severely compromised, exposing it to comparison with similar chips.
Other devices using similar chipsets will quickly overtake it – the progress of other mobile devices is just so rapid.
[The article goes on to present some technical analysis of the NGP's CPU and GPU, suggesting the NGP may become obsolete very quickly:]

The yearly updates of smartphones and tablets probably doom a static specification like that of the NGP to obsolescence within a few short years, leaving the hardware to compete solely on the quality of its controller, or in the case of the 3DS, its gimmicky display – time will tell whether this proves sufficient.

source: sankakucomplex
Gosu360
Brigadier 2
Brigadier 2

Postby iSnipeZz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 pm

PS3/360 for home. iPhone for on-the-go. And the NGP is needed because?...
iSnipeZz
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Gosu360 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:48 pm

The quality of iPhone games on the market is outstanding, especially the likes of Real Racing 2, Time Crisis and Dead Space. With the price of iPhone games ranging from 0.59p to a few pounds, I'll be sticking with it for my mobile gaming, compared to the 30-40? quid a NGP game is going to cost.
Gosu360
Brigadier 2
Brigadier 2

Postby iSnipeZz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:07 pm

And I hate carrying around handhelds and their games.
iSnipeZz
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:09 pm

I've always been a Sony loyalist but I've just never had any interest in the PSP... Can't see that changing. Not a big handheld gamer but used to play my GBA an awful lot.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mahaffy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:I've always been a Sony loyalist but I've just never had any interest in the PSP... Can't see that changing. Not a big handheld gamer but used to play my GBA an awful lot.

I had the first PSP and i was not really impressed.. the only handheld i played A LOT was Gameboy (Pokemon) or else i dont really like handhelds the Iphone is good for that
mahaffy
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby thebigb59 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:32 pm

iSnipeZz wrote:PS3/360 for home. iPhone for on-the-go. And the NGP is needed because?...

Because people still like portable gaming on a portable console
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Next

Return to Mobile Gaming