Finally got my ME3 Platnium

Re: Finally got my ME3 Platnium

Postby assassinof1337 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:28 am

The PS3 port was handled almost as poorly as if it had been done by Bethesda. Although I didn't get any of the issues you did, I still had my own. The fight right after you release Liara was playing at about 1 FPS, if that, and I had times where on my screen the Mako froze for seconds, but the game was still running properly besides and it caught up shortly after. And while when I first played a few years ago I loved it, it definitely didn't age well. I didn't have any issues with the Mako(except that they handled the camera and what direction you move in weird), but copy/paste bases and poor combat did not mix well.

Missions in ME2 were way better(except for the giant plot hole in Jacob's loyalty mission), and combat was much more fun, but they raped the guns. Seriously, they thought the fact that there were "over 10 guns" was something to be proud of(they literally put that on the back of the case for the 360 copy), and half of them were heavy weapons anyways. I don't think it really needed it to be exactly like ME1(everything was obsolete once you got Spectre weapons, and they all behaved the same anyways), but it REALLY needed some variety like what we got in ME3.
assassinof1337
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby jloco11 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:30 pm

ME3 fixed a large portion of the combat issues the game had... everything from the gunfighting, to the variety of guns, to the specialization of each character (except the Sentinel which seems like they had no clue what to do for that character).

But the biggest issue with ME3 was tying every plot hole together with a bad ending. They got the combat right, but fucked up the story.

ME2 issues were class related with the guns. Restricting the soldier to be the only class using assault rifles was a bad choice. I know we had the option midway through the game to train on them, but at that point, what good would it have done? And like you said, there were more heavy weapons in the game than guns!

What I did like was how they separated out the Infiltrator, Vanguard and Sentinel from the original ME1. ME1 just combined biotic, tech and combat powers to make new classes, where ME2 gave them separate abilities to feel different. Vanguards were given Charge, Infiltrators were given invisibility and Sentinels were given tank abilities. That's when the classes truly felt unique and different. (and ME3 advanced that idea further).

ME1 almost feels like a last gen game... and quite possibly it was prepared to be a PS2/Xbox gen game and got upgraded to next gen during production. I honestly felt like I was playing a PS2 game when I played it. Certain FF games like FF12 had more variety and integration than ME1 did. So I can understand if Bioware did rush production to have it on the Xbox360, but the rushed finish certainly shows in their final product.
jloco11

Postby goob876 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 pm

I didn't have any major problems playing ME1, It didn't feel like a port to me.

ME3's story was fine until the end. I don't know about you guys but I didn't care that the ending was shitty because the rest was great. Maybe I didn't care because ME3 was the first game I played in the trilogy.

I'm interested to see how ME4 will turn out to be without Shepard and his squad. I'd like to see ME3's combat improved a bit because it can get glitchy at times. They fucked up when they made the take cover, roll and sprint actions the same button. Definitely more variety of guns and modification options. More upgrades to powers, a larger variety of powers. Hell, maybe even a few new classes. I want a lot more customization, I want to feel that my character is completely unique out of the thousands that are made.

Now that there won't be any reapers, I don't know what they will do with the story. I'm worried that they're gonna mess it up.

I would also like to see a multiplayer similar to ME3. Now that they have the basic idea of the multiplayer, they can expand and improve it. Imagine how addicting it could be if they get it right.
PSN: goob876
goob876
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Postby jloco11 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 pm

ME1 didn't feel like a port? So when you had to decrypt boxes, and the timer ended before you even entered 1 button, that didn't feel like a port?

I didn't finish ME3 with the original ending because I was playing MP... I finished after they released the extended cut ending. I knew people were complaining, and Bioware announced the change, so I waited until the new ending came out to complete it.

Even then, the complaints were valid. You played the 3 separate 20+ hour campaigns, made a number of RPG choices, but you still had the same choice at the end. Pick 1 of 3 options. Yes, some fallout of those choices were affected, but it never felt like the 50+ choices you made in the campaign made a difference.

I would have liked those choices to determine the ending, as opposed to you picking the ending you wanted. Example: Not saving an ally during the suicide mission = losing the support of that race = that race becoming extinct.

Think about it, the teammate you sacrificed in Virmire, what affect did that have on the game? The members who didn't survive ME2, what affect did that have on the game? Whether you were renegade or paragon, what affect did that have on the outcome? For such an amazing story, and amazing world they created, it never felt like the ending matched the scale of choices you had to make in the 3 campaigns. Hell, I played the shit out of multiplayer and because of that, I received the "best" ending possible due to all my war points. I can't even receive a bad ending if I tried since I accumulated a shitload of MP points.

ME4 is going to go in 1 of 2 direction... prequel or sequel. Prequel makes more sense, in terms of humans finding the mass relays and meeting other species. They already created backstory in the campaigns, so a prequel could pick up on those stories. Or how the Protheans fought the reapers in their cycle.

A sequel would need a new enemy, one more feared than the reapers. And it would need to take into account the choices made in your ME3 ending (i.e genophage, Earth's final last, Quarians or Geth etc). Too risky, hence why I see ME4 being a prequel.
jloco11

Postby goob876 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:24 am

I think I only had problems with the decryption a few times. Other than that and a few minor glitches, my experience playing it wasn't that bad. Maybe it doesn't affect some people as badly as others? You said Skyrim was a shitty port but some of my friends tell me they didn't have any major problems. I don't know whether that's because they're more casual gamers and they didn't notice or if it didn't happen to them.

After playing all 3 games I can see why people were so pissed about the ending. It was a horrible idea and all your previous decisions barely affected it. Did you hear about the originally planned ending? It involved the spread of dark energy. The reapers' purpose were to harvest every species every 50,000 years to slow its spread. The human reaper was like their last desperate attempt to stop the dark energy because they ran out of time. They chose humans because of our genetic diversity. This way, the human reaper would have made more sense. Tali's recruitment mission would have also made more sense because they mentioned how that star was expanding faster than it should be because of the dark energy. Unfortunately this would have been an awful ending too because you would end up with two choices: allow the reapers to create the human reaper or hope that humanity comes up with a better solution. All your previous decisions would not have affected the ending here too.

Yea I agree, ME4 will probably be a prequel and it's better that way. If they tried to make a sequel there would be a higher chance of messing it up because, as you said, they would have to come up with another enemy. What I hope they never do though, is create an MMO. SW:KotOR was ruined like that.
goob876
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Postby jloco11 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

I should have recorded my ME1 gameplays, where the decryption shit would fail before a button would even show! And those were medium/easy decryptions. I didn't even bother with hard, I just bought the box out and omni-gel'd what I didn't need.

There were a number of loose ends in the ME universe and I remember Tali's being one of them... with the star getting hotter than expected. Also, that ending wouldn't have made sense from where the game started with Saren being indoctrinated by Sovereign.

I think the writers of the story had this grand idea and arc of a story, but they just didn't know how to finish it. How exactly do you stop an army of alien robots larger than any species or ship and with as little warning as that cycle had? I think that's the dilemma they ran into for the conclusion.

All the decisions we made in the game, were going to have no bearing on how to stop giant machines. Genophage or not, doesn't stop reapers. Geth or Quarians, doesn't stop reapers. Kaidan or Ashley, doesn't stop reapers.
jloco11

Postby goob876 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm

How would that ending not make sense with Saren being indoctrinated by Sovereign? Sovereign used Saren as a tool to help him re-open the Citadel relay because the Protheans jammed the signal that told the keepers to open it. Sovereign wanted the cycle to continue, to stop the spread of dark energy. During the conversation with Sovereign, when you ask what the reason is for the cycles, he replies that organics can't comprehend it. If the reason was to slow the spread of dark energy, then it would have made more sense because organics didn't know about the dark energy. But if the reason was to stop organics from creating synthetics that will eventually kill them, then how the fuck is that not comprehensible by organics. Drew Karpyshin, the writer of ME1, already had that ending in mind when he wrote the story of the first game.

But yea, with an enemy that powerful it would be pretty difficult to come up with a good ending.
goob876
Sergeant 2
Sergeant 2

Postby jloco11 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:44 pm

goob876 wrote:How would that ending not make sense with Saren being indoctrinated by Sovereign? Sovereign used Saren as a tool to help him re-open the Citadel relay because the Protheans jammed the signal that told the keepers to open it. Sovereign wanted the cycle to continue, to stop the spread of dark energy. During the conversation with Sovereign, when you ask what the reason is for the cycles, he replies that organics can't comprehend it. If the reason was to slow the spread of dark energy, then it would have made more sense because organics didn't know about the dark energy. But if the reason was to stop organics from creating synthetics that will eventually kill them, then how the fuck is that not comprehensible by organics. Drew Karpyshin, the writer of ME1, already had that ending in mind when he wrote the story of the first game.

But yea, with an enemy that powerful it would be pretty difficult to come up with a good ending.

During the scene on the Citadel, with Saren, he mentions he received implants from Sovereign because he doubted his mission. If you continue a neutral conversation tree (not paragon or renegade), Saren will say he's "the future of evolution" when he refers to his implants, and that organics will succumb to synthetics for the greater purpose.

The rest of the plot can go towards the Dark Energy theme... with Sovereign trying to open the Citadel relay and what not, but why give Saren implants and make mention of the future of evolution if organics are going to be harvested anyways.
jloco11

Previous

Return to Mass Effect