Disillusioned in gaming.

Disillusioned in gaming.

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:27 pm

There have been some absolutely huge game releases recently where expectations are sky high but the product delivered has ultimately been broken on release or a lot of planned content has been clearly cut and it shows. Examples -

Metal Gear Solid 5 - About a third off the end of the game that was planned wasn't made and was replaced with previous missions at a tougher difficulty.

Final Fantasy 15 - Huge amounts of explorable areas clearly cut and a lot of story and character interaction appears to be missing.

Fallout 4 - Find your son, honestly I couldn't be bothered. None of the characters I met felt real or interesting at all. A huge empty world where nothing actually interesting is happening. Save the same settlement for the 90th time despite it having 18 turrets and being armed to the teeth, oh you didn't. Minus reputation for you. Zzz.

No Man's Sky - All the cool looking stuff in that reveal trailer. Most of it can'tactually happen in the final product. But cool idea, right?

Mass Effect - The latest offender. Broken on release, animations a total mess, a large percentage of the dialogue is absolutely awful and suggests the writers couldn't care less about a lot of the characters you meet.

Getting to the point now, where I'd rather spend a lot of my spare time on other hobbies where you don't get screwed over. Just me?
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Disillusioned in gaming.

Postby jloco11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Lieutenant Fatman wrote:There have been some absolutely huge game releases recently where expectations are sky high but the product delivered has ultimately been broken on release or a lot of planned content has been clearly cut and it shows. Examples -

Metal Gear Solid 5 - About a third off the end of the game that was planned wasn't made and was replaced with previous missions at a tougher difficulty.

Final Fantasy 15 - Huge amounts of explorable areas clearly cut and a lot of story and character interaction appears to be missing.

Fallout 4 - Find your son, honestly I couldn't be bothered. None of the characters I met felt real or interesting at all. A huge empty world where nothing actually interesting is happening. Save the same settlement for the 90th time despite it having 18 turrets and being armed to the teeth, oh you didn't. Minus reputation for you. Zzz.

No Man's Sky - All the cool looking stuff in that reveal trailer. Most of it can'tactually happen in the final product. But cool idea, right?

Mass Effect - The latest offender. Broken on release, animations a total mess, a large percentage of the dialogue is absolutely awful and suggests the writers couldn't care less about a lot of the characters you meet.

Getting to the point now, where I'd rather spend a lot of my spare time on other hobbies where you don't get screwed over. Just me?

For each clunker though, you can find a game that was well done. Zelda, Nioh, Horizon Zero Dawn, MLB The Show.

Some of these games, you can tell are going to have issues just by their development cycles. Metal Gear had Konami all but pushing Kojima out the door. FF15 has been in development for 10 years and their demo was a good indicator of what was to come.

No Man's Sky showed.............nothing. I mean the game really had no actual gameplay to release before the launch of the game and was just promoted on promise.

Mass Effect issues had been apparent since their first previews. And Bethesda are a bunch of guttercunts (still think that name will stick eventually!).

So it all depends on what game you're looking at and how the development cycle was going.
jloco11

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:17 pm

I would argue that even Nioh fell victim to the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I liked the game, but it could get very repetitive due to padding with side missions and a general lack of variety. Most good games these days have some kind of "Oh, but..." caveat. Like Resident Evil 7, I thought it was a fantastic game, but I am still annoyed that there were not one, but two DLC packages of content that was clearly cut from the game. I haven't played Zero Dawn yet but I have at least heard that it doesn't do that sort of thing, which is encouraging.

I think one of the main problems is sequels. No surprise that nearly every game you mention in the OP is a sequel. Mass Effect Andromeda perhaps not so much, because that just seems to be broken, but games like MGSV and Fallout 4 are basically ruined by the same bogeyman; casual market appeal. Devs need to start making games for the people who like them, not suckers who might buy it because it's big and has guns in. I'd also games like Uncharted 4 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided as sequels which should have been a lot better than they were.

I do think we have had some amazing games lately and there are some in the pipeline that look to continue that. I think it's gotten better this year and last year, whereas 2015, when MGSV and Fallout 4 were released, was an awful year for gaming.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:14 pm

I think my problem is, games like Metal Gear Solid & Mass Effect, the games that came before were so incredible (despite the ending for ME3) I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Even though as jloco said there were indicators that there might be problems.
Another problem unfortunately is some of the games above weren't even critisized in reviews, MGS5, Fallout & FF15. So they effectively set you up to find you've purchased a game on their recommendation that is completely unfinished.

Don't get me wrong, there are some incredible games this generation. The Witcher 3 setting the bar for me by some distance in terms of story telling, and currently I am very impressed with Persona 5, thankfully. But I definitely feel it's a real minefield out there for us if we don't wait on release and then do some homework.

Also I agree on Resident Evil 7, solid game and a decent comeback for the series but the publisher's greed held it back.
Personally I was happy with UC4. Fun narrative, interesting characters, with some nice twists, felt believable and immersive. Not perfect but much better than UC3 for me which lost it towards the end.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby thebigb59 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm

i would say try some pc games
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Postby a3grlmreaper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:43 am

I don't know who hurt you, but you should find an alternate outlet.

Fallout 4, while I will allow that it wasnt as good as 3 or New Vegas, is still a perfectly fine game.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 am

a3grlmreaper wrote:I don't know who hurt you, but you should find an alternate outlet.

Fallout 4, while I will allow that it wasnt as good as 3 or New Vegas, is still a perfectly fine game.
It's really not. It downgraded from the previous games in so many ways it was just inexcusable.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 am

a3grlmreaper wrote:I don't know who hurt you, but you should find an alternate outlet.

I'm just fed up with so many big games being released in a completely half arsed state these days and a lot of the time pretty much none of the media will call them on it, ignoring all the problems.

Hey, I have no problem with people that say they really enjoyed, Fallout 4, Mass Effect or FF15, etc on release, just means they value different things in games to me, which is fine. And there are games I like as well with a ton of problems but at least I knew ahead of time what those problems were so I didn't feel short changed when I had it and it wasn't too late. The latest Armored Core games are my easiest examples, love the game play, brilliant fun, but the narrative, scripting and network code are all completely awful. Which is a shame, I wish that wasn't the case but I will happily admit despite being a massive fan of the games that these particular issues need a ton of work. They will never improve on these areas if all the fans cover for them and try to pretend the game is perfect.

You're right on finding an alternate outlet, I'm putting more time into other hobbies these days. That way I get to be more picky with the games I buy and play.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby thebigb59 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Lieutenant Fatman wrote:

I'm just fed up with so many big games being released in a completely half arsed state these days and a lot of the time pretty much none of the media will call them on it, ignoring all the problems.

Hey, I have no problem with people that say they really enjoyed, Fallout 4, Mass Effect or FF15, etc on release, just means they value different things in games to me, which is fine. And there are games I like as well with a ton of problems but at least I knew ahead of time what those problems were so I didn't feel short changed when I had it and it wasn't too late. The latest Armored Core games are my easiest examples, love the game play, brilliant fun, but the narrative, scripting and network code are all completely awful. Which is a shame, I wish that wasn't the case but I will happily admit despite being a massive fan of the games that these particular issues need a ton of work. They will never improve on these areas if all the fans cover for them and try to pretend the game is perfect.

You're right on finding an alternate outlet, I'm putting more time into other hobbies these days. That way I get to be more picky with the games I buy and play.

the issue is the gaming media, they don't pull the big companies over the fire for shoddy workmanship. Its got to the point that Bethesda will not release review codes of their games, EA might follow them. That means we won't know if a game is good or bad till we get it day one.
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Postby a3grlmreaper » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:26 am

Musashi1596 wrote:

It's really not. It downgraded from the previous games in so many ways it was just inexcusable.

The only thing I really have to complain about on Fallout 4 is the chat system, and how they did the power armor. Granted it is more like how power armor would be, but I hated having to worry about fusion cores. I liked it more in Fallout 3 where it was just really good armor.

Other than that no real complaints. I liked the companion characters, the romance option was a minor addition, but its a major part of an RPG, The basebuilding was great if you put in the grind (the grind being something I would add to the "I hate" list). I built Sanctuary up to where it looked like an actual settlement you would find in any of the games.

I had no issues sticking with the main story, then again, I love plots where the end game is "shoot bad guys in the face", so while the sidequests were interesting and a good way to build up my level, I never lost motivation to: 1. Find son 2. Shoot bad guys in face.

While I did enjoy the previous 2 games more, I really don't feel like it was a downgrade. All the various new features added outweigh any of the good elements that were lost, and I'm confident that Fallout 5 will be the love child of all the best parts of 3 and 4. I'm not setting an impossibly unrealistic expectation of how good it will be, but I certainly have the expectation bar set high.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Gaming News