Disillusioned in gaming.

Re: Disillusioned in gaming.

Postby SmellyUndies » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:25 pm

The Fallout 4 dialogue being voiced was the best addition to a Bethesda game ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby thebigb59 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:18 pm

SmellyUndies wrote:The Fallout 4 dialogue being voiced was the best addition to a Bethesda game ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees.

good concept but done poorly, the sole survivor has not passion when they speak, its like the voice actors where drunk when they gave their lines or just didn't care
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:03 pm

a3grlmreaper wrote:The only thing I really have to complain about on Fallout 4 is the chat system, and how they did the power armor. Granted it is more like how power armor would be, but I hated having to worry about fusion cores. I liked it more in Fallout 3 where it was just really good armor.

Other than that no real complaints. I liked the companion characters, the romance option was a minor addition, but its a major part of an RPG, The basebuilding was great if you put in the grind (the grind being something I would add to the "I hate" list). I built Sanctuary up to where it looked like an actual settlement you would find in any of the games.

I had no issues sticking with the main story, then again, I love plots where the end game is "shoot bad guys in the face", so while the sidequests were interesting and a good way to build up my level, I never lost motivation to: 1. Find son 2. Shoot bad guys in face.

While I did enjoy the previous 2 games more, I really don't feel like it was a downgrade. All the various new features added outweigh any of the good elements that were lost, and I'm confident that Fallout 5 will be the love child of all the best parts of 3 and 4. I'm not setting an impossibly unrealistic expectation of how good it will be, but I certainly have the expectation bar set high.
The dialogue was the single worst part about the game. Your options were extremely limited, and were literally based on tone. And for that matter the tone wasn't even accurate most of the time, and what your character said wasn't even vaguely reflective of the choice you made. Base building I didn't like; the tools were incredibly limited, you had very little variety in textures, and what you built just didn't matter all that much. Settlements were dumb as shit. You'd have to constantly moniter their bullshit Happiness stat, and regardless of how well you defended a settlement (either with turrets, walls, or arming your settlers) you'd constantly be told to run off and defend them.

Which brings me to quests; there's just so much fucking repetition. I couldn't take two steps in Sanctuary without Preston telling me to go help a settlement, which was just a selection of about three missions repeated endlessly. The gameplay was massively dumbed down, they completely removed skills for fucks sake. It was an integral part of the series and they just ditched it to dumb things down. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is now useless. Variety in gameplay was almost completely removed, you can no longer finish a lot of quests by dialogue or other options. Just shoot your way through, all the time. And there's basically nothing in the way of multiple choices to take in a quest, it's nearly always just one path to one outcome. There are barely any interesting sidequests. Characters are usually flat and boring, which is a large result of the dialogue system because there's no real interaction.

The story also makes no sense compared to previous games. You always played as a blank slate character with just a general background for characterisation, and you built your own identity. In this, you're shown to be a normal suburban parent who just wants to get their son back, which means that any roleplaying you want to do is often directly contradicting the established character. If you wanted to declare yourself Fuckface McDickhandle and terrorise settlements in nothing but a hat and underpants, that makes absolutely no sense given what the game already shows you. And, for that matter, there's no karma system anymore either, and reputation is worthless.

Even the interesting additions, like weapon crafting, end up forcing you to just hoover up junk everywhere you go so you can actually make stuff.

Tl;DR It's a horribly watered down, simplified and shallow game that plays more like a shooter, and in conclusion it can fuck off. What was lost absolutely nowhere near makes up for the new additions.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:04 pm

SmellyUndies wrote:The Fallout 4 dialogue being voiced was the best addition to a Bethesda game ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
I'll fight you, and I'll win. It's nice hearing your character speak but I strongly suspect it is the direct cause of the dialogue being dumbed down so much, and subsequently, a direct cause of the game being pretty shitty.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SmellyUndies » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:07 pm

thebigb59 wrote:

good concept but done poorly, the sole survivor has not passion when they speak, its like the voice actors where drunk when they gave their lines or just didn't care

To be fair after reading the 50,000th line, it probably takes it toll on the actors.
Still I feel a decent amount of lines were delivered pretty well, especially in some of the quirky side quests like The Silver Shroud.
But the best lines in the game were definitely the Sarcastic options which made the voiced dialogue 250,000x better.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:15 pm

SmellyUndies wrote:
thebigb59 wrote:

To be fair after reading the 50,000th line, it probably takes it toll on the actors.
Still I feel a decent amount of lines were delivered pretty well, especially in some of the quirky side quests like The Silver Shroud.
But the best lines in the game were definitely the Sarcastic options which made the voiced dialogue 250,000x better.

Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SmellyUndies » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:
I'll fight you, and I'll win. It's nice hearing your character speak but I strongly suspect it is the direct cause of the dialogue being dumbed down so much, and subsequently, a direct cause of the game being pretty shitty.

Alright let's go, dukes up.

Playing a mute is the most unfun thing ever in an RPG game, sure you can have 10 different dialogue options when you aren't actually having to voice them but it's still stupid having to basically play as a mime doing charades to get their responses across.
Fallout 4 could have easily been a good RPG game if they didn't remove Skills or the ability to utilize them, there are only 2 times where the SPECIAL perks are useful, one being the difficult dialogue options where you need high Charisma to pass and the one time on the Robot pirate ship where you can fix a fuse box if your Science skill or something is high enough.

That's where the faulted, it should be like NV (and I presume FO3) where skills impacted gameplay other than just romancing and RNG conversation luck if your Charisma is too low, but that isn't necessarily a direct cause of dialogue being voiced. It's useful game options like Skills not be utilized at all and base building being complete garbage which makes the game shitty, not a talking protagonist.

Bonus things that would never be funny to say via text with a mute character but sounds awesome with a voiced character:
https://youtu.be/xcIoUHgxAhg (One of my personal favourites)
and a run through a bunch of good lines
https://youtu.be/5e9vk4S-nRo
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby SmellyUndies » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:

You forced that bug and you know it. Standing purposely above the NPC that speaks face to face so they can't speak their lines correctly when it's as simple as dropping down after the first time he repeats to fix it rather than waiting for it repeat 5 times and breaks the conversation.

Also the fact that this isn't relevant because the issue is protagonist lines being voiced, not NPC's. All that shows is that a Bethesda game is bugged, which at this point is just expected and noone will give them shit about it because of that.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:48 pm

SmellyUndies wrote:Playing a mute is the most unfun thing ever in an RPG game, sure you can have 10 different dialogue options when you aren't actually having to voice them but it's still stupid having to basically play as a mime doing charades to get their responses across.
Fallout 4 could have easily been a good RPG game if they didn't remove Skills or the ability to utilize them, there are only 2 times where the SPECIAL perks are useful, one being the difficult dialogue options where you need high Charisma to pass and the one time on the Robot pirate ship where you can fix a fuse box if your Science skill or something is high enough.

That's where the faulted, it should be like NV (and I presume FO3) where skills impacted gameplay other than just romancing and RNG conversation luck if your Charisma is too low, but that isn't necessarily a direct cause of dialogue being voiced. It's useful game options like Skills not be utilized at all and base building being complete garbage which makes the game shitty, not a talking protagonist.

Bonus things that would never be funny to say via text with a mute character but sounds awesome with a voiced character:
https://youtu.be/xcIoUHgxAhg (One of my personal favourites)
and a run through a bunch of good lines
https://youtu.be/5e9vk4S-nRo
I'd much rather have better dialogue than have it voiced. I can understand the frustration with playing as mimes, but ultimately not having a voice doesn't affect the quality of the story. Implementing a voice, and causing dialogue options to be drastically reduced, does affect the quality of the story. The same thing happened with the transition between Dragon Age Origins, and Dragon Age 2, which saw a huge decline. It doesn't make a game shitty on its own, but it sure does contribute.

SmellyUndies wrote:You forced that bug and you know it. Standing purposely above the NPC that speaks face to face so they can't speak their lines correctly when it's as simple as dropping down after the first time he repeats to fix it rather than waiting for it repeat 5 times and breaks the conversation.

Also the fact that this isn't relevant because the issue is protagonist lines being voiced, not NPC's. All that shows is that a Bethesda game is bugged, which at this point is just expected and noone will give them shit about it because of that.
No, I didn't, and I am hurt by the accusation. If you watch the video, you will see at the very start that I am loading into the area. That is the scene that greeted me as soon as I entered the area from the previous room. You will also noticed than when I dropped down and *was* face to face, his dialogue continued. The only thing that stopped it was me attempting to talk to him, and I had to force that because he was running away from me.

I find it ironic that me trying to talk to him is what makes him decided I'm not here to talk.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SmellyUndies » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:I'd much rather have better dialogue than have it voiced. I can understand the frustration with playing as mimes, but ultimately not having a voice doesn't affect the quality of the story. Implementing a voice, and causing dialogue options to be drastically reduced, does affect the quality of the story. The same thing happened with the transition between Dragon Age Origins, and Dragon Age 2, which saw a huge decline. It doesn't make a game shitty on its own, but it sure does contribute.

Quality of story? No it doesn't affect that negatively by not having a voice but when it actually has a voice, it can add to the story positively.

Musashi1596 wrote:No, I didn't, and I am hurt by the accusation. If you watch the video, you will see at the very start that I am loading into the area. That is the scene that greeted me as soon as I entered the area from the previous room. You will also noticed than when I dropped down and *was* face to face, his dialogue continued. The only thing that stopped it was me attempting to talk to him, and I had to force that because he was running away from me.

I find it ironic that me trying to talk to him is what makes him decided I'm not here to talk.

I know you loaded into the area but you also just stood there waiting there for him to repeat instead of moving in front of him which for curiosity is understandable but it nonetheless is your fault it's occurring because the game can't handle the speech whilst your out of their range (that really is a shitty loading spot though, being so high up that the character tries and fails to interact with you repeatedly).
The thing that broke the encounter is since you had let the game simulate and he went banana's running in circles that's what caused the character to break dialogue because he ran away out of your dialogue range, at least that's a simple fix by just reloading the autosave and speaking to him immediately rather than watch a robot chicken run around in circles then trying interact with him midway through his run.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming News