DSII Tips

DSII Tips

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 pm

I'll try and add tips here as I play through the game and encourage others to do the same.

Take the Petrified Something at the start of the game. The rest of the items are generic, and this will give you a chance at a rare item.

If you pass by a body, give it a smack. Hollowed like to play dead.

You can put down white soul sigils while human, now. Beating bosses is not supposed to return you to human form, but will do it on occasion as a glitch. Probably be patched out.

If you're summoning players and have a choice of summon signs, always take golden ones over white. You'll get a sunlight medal from it on victory, which can be used in the Heirs of the Sun covenant.

Beating an area boss as a Human Phantom (as opposed to Hollow Phantom) appears to refill your Estus flask, magic slots, and possibly (need to confirm) even restores your weapon durability.
- If you're in a bad situation and need to refill your flask or whatever, but don't want to respawn all the enemies by resting, backtrack a bit and use the Small White Soapstone. You'll only have to help the host for a limited time, and as long as you survive, you'll get everything restored. Of course, you an try helping fight the boss if you're near the gate.

Invest in the Adaptability stat. It increases the speed of your Estus swigs and gives you more invinvibility frames on your rolls.

You can now be invaded while in hollow form.

Upgrade your kit smartly. Upgrade materials seem to be quite a bit rarer now.
-however, it seems you can farm Titanite Chunks by defeating hosts as a member of the Bell Keeper covenant.
-Large Titanite Shards can be purchased for 2,500 souls each from McDuff in the Lost Bastille. You won't be able to that for a fair while though.

If you have something to lose by dying, before fighting a boss, put a soul sign down and fight it as a phantom first so you can learn how to fight it properly. Several bosses see you outnumbered, so it's wise to see what you are up against.

When fighting the Pursuer, summon somebody to kite him. There are two ballistae at the back of the walkway that deal huge damage to him.

The timing for parrying has been changed, and is quite a bit harder. Be careful before deciding to try it.

Human Effigies, the items that restore your humanity, are in limited supply and there is no other way to restore your humanity legitimately. However, beating a boss after putting down a small white soapstone will give you a Smooth and Silky Stone, which you can trade to Dyna and Tillo in Things Betwixt for a chance at an effigy.

Save any Soul Vessels you acquire for late in the game so you'll get the full advantage of respeccing your character. Unless you messed up really badly.

If you're in a high traffic area, like Belfry Luna, consider keeping a Soapstone equipped in your item slot. If it suddenly gets greyed out, you're about to be invaded. Should give you just enough time to prepare, you'll have around 30 seconds.

Poison is much more dangerous this time around. It is wise to keep moss equipped. It's both far more damaging, and commonly coats you and fills your poison gauge even after escape.

If you main a fragile weapon like the Falchion, keep a dagger at hand for dealing with environmental hazards.

Picking up the Ring of Life Protection from No-man's Wharf will allow you to retain your humanity and souls upon death. It breaks, but costs only 3,000 souls to repair.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: DSII Tips

Postby illoominator » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:10 pm

great tips so far - thanks Mark!. We definitely need this thread. Though i don't have the game yet, when i do i will be sure to post some of my own

undoubtedly i will take more than i give to this thread though!
illoominator
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 pm

illoominator wrote:great tips so far - thanks Mark!. We definitely need this thread. Though i don't have the game yet, when i do i will be sure to post some of my own

undoubtedly i will take more than i give to this thread though!
Just updated with a few things,

I guess the simplest things can make a lot of difference, especially when we're still at the stage where the mechanics are still being figured out.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Musashi1596 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Just posting to say I've updated it with a number of new tips. While it seems like I'm presently the only player, when people start actually playing, if anybody wants some detailed area tips please just let me know and I'd be happy to oblige.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Dark Souls