Dark Souls III

Re: Dark Souls III

Postby Treehugger » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Decided to try some other miracles since lightning and sunlight spears aren't really worth it at the moment. Their is one called Vow of Silence. It's godly it prevents all people in the area from using magic for a short duration. Co oped with some people against Aldrich. Have you seen Aldrich without magic. He kept trying to cast that arrow rain spell, but it wasn't happening. Pretty much made him a punching bag.

I also found a new npc for the shrine I somehow missed.

I really want a magic character. Think that will be my next one.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:27 pm

Treehugger wrote:Decided to try some other miracles since lightning and sunlight spears aren't really worth it at the moment. Their is one called Vow of Silence. It's godly it prevents all people in the area from using magic for a short duration. Co oped with some people against Aldrich. Have you seen Aldrich without magic. He kept trying to cast that arrow rain spell, but it wasn't happening. Pretty much made him a punching bag.

I also found a new npc for the shrine I somehow missed.

I really want a magic character. Think that will be my next one.

Don't do it, it sucks. At least not until 1.06.

source: I am a wizard
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Treehugger » Sun May 01, 2016 8:06 pm

Well I started a magic character before I saw this warning. Made it to road of Sacrifices. So far it seems okay. Getting through areas is really easy, but bosses/enemies that get in your face are challenging. Especially when it takes 5 seconds to cast a spell. I will wait until the patch before continuing. Will prob go back to my last character and join Aldrich convenant and join in jolly invasions.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun May 01, 2016 11:50 pm

Faith is also not great in PVP. In the main game it's alright in terms of buffs, and you can occasionally hit/pull some enemies/bosses with Lightning Spear, but online it's super easy to dodge everything, and the good ones take so long to cast that the other players can either kill you or react and run away.

I'm not too fond of PvP. People never play alone, and everyone's using massive ultra greatswords, and my build is garbage.

I'm now ready to start NG+, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it. Demon's and Bloodborne were the only ones that gripped me enough to do multiple playthroughs, and I haven't really felt this one. I felt like the start was really strong, but it lost me for a while somewhere around the middle, before the end redeemed it a bit. I honestly think it would be a better game if it was shorter, if some of the bosses were re-done (Aldrich, TNK, AW, Dancer) and if the Archdragon optional area was removed entirely.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon May 02, 2016 2:43 am

Agreed about PvP. Magic isn't viable, pyromancy isn't viable, sounds like faith isn't viable. Short weapons aren't viable, katanas barely are. Everyone is running a two-handed or ultra greatsword, with the odd poise-destroying rapier with R1 spam. It's boring, and unfair.

I still intend to plat it but I've already lost my enthusiasm for it. I more or less agree with your sentiments on it I think. While not quite on the "What the fuck have you done" level as MGSV and Fallout, this game is, as I feared, something of a disappointment.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue May 03, 2016 3:02 am

Further to the discussion on PvP, there are some really good posts in here; https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/com ... etter_pvp/

Some of the main things I'm taking away (read: the things I was already mad about) are;

* Rolling being far too hard to punish on account of speed, low stamina usage and large number of I-Frames
* Chugging being far too hard to punish on account of speed and mobility
* Poise being useless (I was mistaking hyper armour for high poise initially)
* No incentive to use light armour, and no penalties for heavy armour pre-fat rolling
* Greatswordsand other heavy weapons having uninterruptable, unparryable follow-ups that deal massive damage (hyper armour)
* Backsteps no longer having I-Frames (I knew they felt off, but it didn't twig that this was why until I read it) plus being slower
* Poor weapon and stat balance
* Apparent focus on speed over precision and strategy

And that's just delving nto combat mechanics, not even touching on things like the piss poor covenants. It also reminded me of the ascetic system in DS2, where you could burn one at a bonfire to reset the area and bring invasions back to an area after clearing it, which is now sorely missed. As is the power stance system, and animation cancelling. Seems DS2 made a lot of improvements that were flat out ignored.

Interestingly quite a few players mentioned a general clunkiness associated with unusual hitboxes and timings, which I definitely agree with.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue May 03, 2016 2:21 pm

No doubt there will be some fixing at some point.
Defeated Nameless King and The Princes this morning, not much left now I'm guessing.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue May 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Stumbled on these; some are a bit silly, but 1, 2 and 4 are genius
http://imgur.com/gallery/u6oiy

Community is coming up with better ideas than the devs.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arnold Sideways » Tue May 03, 2016 5:30 pm

"Capra Demon Wheel"

How about fuck off
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue May 03, 2016 6:16 pm

I heard the mimic bonfire idea a while back and was worried they might be real. Honestly, I came across one 30 seconds from another and so attacked it just in case. Pleasently surprised it didn't try to kill me.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Dark Souls