Don't Starve: Console Edition

Don't Starve: Console Edition

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:55 am

Don't Starve is the first PS+ game given to subscribers of 2014. Is it any good? I'm loving it, so much to explore and figure out how to survive longer each time you start again, and learn how to take on different hazards

Here I am, having made my self a top hat, a spear and a fire and having grown a nice beard, all rather chuffed with myself for not having died in the first 2 or 3 days. But I quickly found there's only so long the game will let you get away with sitting out in the open casually hunting birds and rabbits, it soon steps things up a gear.
Very entertaining stuff, I love games like this which are completely different to everything else on the market and keep you intrigued. I highly recommend everyone loading it up and giving it a go.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Don't Starve: Console Edition

Postby Treehugger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:17 pm

How do you increase your brain or raise it? mine was at the bottom and whole screen went drug like shit and the shadows were trying to kill me and i couldnt make anything i was in such bad shape. I can't get past day 6 >.>
A pigman kills me, a donkey or llama on a pogostick shoot a laser at me. I accidentally went into a a portal challenge where you have to survive 5 days or worlds couldnt do the first one its a frozen land like winter with penquins and snow rabbits. Also the entire ground is ice and freezing so almost no resources I mean damn. Not to mention I only went in the portal because I was being chased by 5 spiders I come out they are all waiting for me da fuck no luck in this game. Then I was so hungry I wanted anything I see food I'm like SCORE runs 4 tentacles pop out the ground and whip me to death lmao
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 pm

I think there are a few things that have an impact on mental health, one is the things you eat, if you go round eating evil flowers and monster meat the whole time, things are likely to go downhill. Even standing next to evil flowers for a period of time can cause problems. You can cheer yourself by eating tasty food and making yourself a nice hat. But I imagine there's all sorts you need to consider. I'd avoid jumping through wormholes until you have some fairly decent supplies to take with you. Try to construct a science machine and then a backpack, otherwise you're really limited in what you can carry.

Lots of experimentation is the way to progress, you learn more each time you play and thus can survive that little bit longer.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Treehugger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:13 pm

I make science machines for extra backpack and spears but the your picture you have something else what exactly is that?
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Oh, that's a weather machine if I recall correctly. I don't know what use that has yet, probably handy when you decide to build a farm. Make sure you pick up plenty of poo on your travels.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Treehugger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:28 pm

I got plenty of manure I'm behind beefalos picking up their shit literally xD

Ok have you made an alchemy machine yet? i have the gold and boards but one of the items is marble which if I'm reading this correctly is made using the alchemy machine .....which is impossible unless you get the marble from a shrine or something which I have I still can't make it. Also the fat shit ass pig the god pig or whatever someone told me he gives you gold if you give him something. Also lighting strikes came close to killing me a few times

EDIT: Okay I found out a few things
[url]http://gyazo.com/77484c4d3989755a5112260a703c6dd5
first of this is a screenshot of me next to a pile of flames which was a crow eating some seeds before lightning hit it xD

http://gyazo.com/772b5fcb282d8fda59ecce783cfd55e5
This was my camp until I died I found out the blocks you need to build wasn't the marble blocks it was cut stone or something near the bottom and trust me this is worth building once you build that you get more recipes example 1 is in my hand a gold axe you can make gold shovels and pickaxes and etc which makes them better. 2. Also I made a fishing rod which you need 2 silks which i happened to have and 1 more thing I never used it but I imagine those ponds near frogs would be ideal for fishing since you can't fish off the side of the map in the ocean.

Some small tips which are pretty obvious if your not slow as fuck like me
1. That giant 2 long bird thing with 1 eye...don't take its fucking egg even if you drop it it will chase you the whole day and more no matter what you do i lost a whole day because it chased me and it was getting dark so I got fucked up.
2. The stones are awesome when you touch them if you die you spawn there even if you lose all your stuff you can still pick them up...if you can find where you died which I couldn't so I started all over.
3. Food spoils so cook most of it.
4. AVOID SPIDERS...by far the thing that has attacked me the most and its now that their hard but they happen to have 5-6 at once then each spider egg has like 3-4 next to it so your pretty much surrounded.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Good tips, thanks, although normal spiders can be defeated with just a basic axe if you have the knack for it, although a spear is probably better for the job. The silk you acquire can be very useful so it's worth figuring out to take them on. Draw them apart from each other, and kill them one at a time, if there's a few of them, you'll need to do a fair bit of jogging back and forth. Once dead, destroy the nest.

If you get the opportunity to do some spelunking, you need to go down there with a light source equipped. A bog standard torch is risky, so if you feel the need to go down with just that, be ready to make a quick strategic withdrawal. Get caught in the darkness and it's all over.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Treehugger » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:46 pm

I can never seem to take on one spider they always swarm at me even when I run and try to break them apart though one thing I tried was attacking them and running to a group of nearby pigs which took care of 1/2 of them before the spiders killed them the rest were easy to kill since their was only 2 left.

Spelunking you mean the sinkholes or whatever I explored them a little bit not much I didn't want to go to far.

Also I used a shovel near graves and I got some items such as gems and such which I thought was interesting until I dug one grave and pissed the owner off the ghost got angry and chased me everywhere. I didn't fight back since I didn't know if weapons could hurt ghosts or if you needed something special luckily some dogs nearby killed it...somehow..
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:02 pm

I do love it when there is infighting in games between your enemies. And yes it's great when you can take advantage of it. If you run to the spider nest while they are in mid battle and quickly destroy it, all the spiders will collapse and can be finished easily.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:45 pm

I'll be trying to entertain with my exploits over here (didn't want to clutter this thread). Just so you know viewtopic.php?f=339&t=103934
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to PlayStation 4