Project Morpheus

Project Morpheus

Postby Arnold Sideways » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ystation-4

So Sony has announced it's own VR headset. It's currently a prototype, but according to Eurogamer they're looking at working towards a commercial launch.

Would anyone be interested in this or any other sort of VR? I think it could work in certain games, and reckon it'd be good to try out. VR has been tried in the past with stuff like Nintendo's (not very successful) Virtual Boy and the slightly more recent Oculus Rift. Anyone ever tried VR before?
Arnold Sideways
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Re: Project Morpheus

Postby deathbynumbers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:03 am

I think it's a good idea, 2x1080p screens, 3D, means the screen projection will look like a huge cinema screen. Downsides will obviously be firstly the price, support won't be a massive issue as a few games are already 3D and those that aren't you'll still be playing them on the equivalent of a huge screen, and lastly the major downside - you'll look like a dick.

So if you balance the pros against the most likely prohibitive cost and the stupidity factor I can't see it being a huge success.
deathbynumbers

Postby SmellyUndies » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:51 am

deathbynumbers wrote:I think it's a good idea, 2x1080p screens, 3D, means the screen projection will look like a huge cinema screen. Downsides will obviously be firstly the price, support won't be a massive issue as a few games are already 3D and those that aren't you'll still be playing them on the equivalent of a huge screen, and lastly the major downside - you'll look like a dick.

So if you balance the pros against the most likely prohibitive cost and the stupidity factor I can't see it being a huge success.

Well VR is a pretty popular thing at the moment (Oculus Rift), it has done well enough to the point where their kickstarter was a success and are now developing higher resolutions and more of them.
The downside is the price and the quality. The non developer Oculus kit is only 720p so it causes nausea and sickness. The price is $300+ for it.
They are trying to develop a 1080p one (the current dev version), 2K and 4K resolutions for it too.
I wouldn't fork out that kind of money for such product at this point of time but time will tell how successful they'll continue to be.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby deathbynumbers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:09 pm

The Oculus Rift Dev kit is 720p too https://support.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/articles/201720633-Why-is-the-resolution-of-the-Oculus-Rift-developer-kit-720p-and-not-1080p-

There was an E3 Prototype (Crystal Cove) that was 1080p but it hasn't been released yet for developers. It's currently 1280x800 (640x800 per eye).

The kickstarter was a huge success but only 7,000 people paid enough money to get one (including un-finished models that people had to build at home), they have been very successful with attracting more funding way in excess of that kickstarter but I still don't see it having any mass appeal as it is essentially an expensive niche product. People don't even want to wear 3D glasses to watch 3D movies so headsets are going to be a much harder sell. Without a large customer base getting full on VR games developed will be a push, the Wii U has something like 3.91 million units (October 2013) and it struggles to get 3rd party support so I can't see what the draw will be for 10 or 20,000 VR headsets.
deathbynumbers

Postby jloco11 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:28 pm

VR gaming has been around for over 20 years, and yet to make a dent in the market as anything other than a fringe accessory. It's a fad selling item, and both Occulus Rift and this will probably make a shitload of money, yet never be used or utilized.

Just look at their competitors "innovations":

Wii sold 100 million consoles.... then proceeded to sell half the games that 360 did once you remove bundled games from the equation.

Microsoft's Kinect is the highest selling accessory in video games... yet Major Nelson himself was forced to admit that 2 years after release the usage was less than .5%. Most AAA games don't even integrate Kinect. The ones that do (Ryse Son of Rome), suffer in commercial reviews as Kinect just doesn't meet the expectations of the demos. Kinect only games, lowest rated Microsoft backed games.

My guess for both: Occulus Rift will sell well based on hype, offer 2-3 games at launch worthy of playing.... and then after that run through a list of shitty games that nobody will buy or play and the fad will die out.

Project Morpheus (if Sony is smart) will let Occulus Rift set the market. Gauge interest, money and reviews and either roll out a project they think can top OR, or cut the project and take a loss on it.
jloco11

Postby deathbynumbers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:16 pm

If they are smart they will sell it as a second screen too though, for £300 it's a fairly reasonably priced full-hd tv really. Could have one person playing on the tv and the other playing with the headset that would be a pretty cool idea in some ways.
deathbynumbers

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 pm

I really like VR as a concept, but I doubt it would be advanced enough to truly interest me yet. Think I'm too hung up on its fantasy portrayals. Much more interested in level of immersion than it looking good to be honest.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby deathbynumbers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:I really like VR as a concept, but I doubt it would be advanced enough to truly interest me yet. Think I'm too hung up on its fantasy portrayals. Much more interested in level of immersion than it looking good to be honest.

Lol I wear huge wireless headphones when I play video games I doubt this would look that much different but sadly not everyone is like us :lol:
deathbynumbers

Postby assassinof1337 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:16 pm

I like the idea of VR headsets for the immersion, but thats it at the moment. There isn't enough that has come together yet for VR to "change gaming". Things like head tracking are interesting, but I don't need them(or even want them) when I'm playing a game while sitting, a lesson Sony and Occulus both need to learn from Nintendo and MS.

That said, while VR isn't ready to change gaming, people are trying to get it there:

Letting movement and the camera be separate(and they've talked about tracking guns separately too, so you can shoot in one direction and look in another) will be great for any first person game. But I have no idea how they are handling jumping and crouching, and until stuff like this gets more affordable(this plus a Rift is over $800 alone), I'm still not that interested.
assassinof1337
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Arnold Sideways » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:50 pm

I agree, I don't think it'll be worth the money for a while yet, not even for the inevitable Star Wars lightsaber game. Reckon some people will take some convincing after hearing of stories of migraines and nausea caused by using them too.

Once it gets to the stage of Ready Player One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One - seriously go read it) I might consider it, but don't think it's for me at the minute.
Arnold Sideways
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Next

Return to PlayStation 4