Project Morpheus

Re: Project Morpheus

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Arnold Sideways wrote:I agree, I don't think it'll be worth the money for a while yet, not even for the inevitable Star Wars lightsaber game. Reckon some people will take some convincing after hearing of stories of migraines and nausea caused by using them too.

Once it gets to the stage of Ready Player One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One - seriously go read it) I might consider it, but don't think it's for me at the minute.
I do need to read this, Spazzy pointed me to it because I gather Rush plays a small part in the plot. Not read a VR related book since Alan Gibbons' pretty nifty Shadow of the Minotaur.

VR can call me back when get here in another century or so.

(I will also accept any episode of ReBoot)
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SmellyUndies » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:21 pm

jloco11 wrote:My guess for both: Occulus Rift will sell well based on hype, offer 2-3 games at launch worthy of playing.... and then after that run through a list of shitty games that nobody will buy or play and the fad will die out.

There isn't too much of a shortage of OR games. They don't have AAA titles but damn do they have a selection of ones to choose from (mainly indies). Some people had creative ideas where all you do is play levels where you fall from the sky and try avoid all these big as obstacles below you - kinda trippy looking.
Outlast is on the OR and apparently it looks great. When you merge the Oculus with other types of VR or play it a 3D game with it, it looks amazing.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby a3grlmreaper » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06 am

I think the Rift is the future of gaming. I know there have been VR headsets before it, and the idea has never really caught on, but that was due to flawed technology. They were unable to do anything spectacular with it. That's changed though. Technology has made great leaps over the past decade. Hell you can make a multi-touch smart board with just a Wii-remote and a projector. If you put infrared dots on a set of glasses, you can make a 3D head tracker on a TV, again with just a Wii remote.

I think the time is right, and by the turn of the next decade, we will have officially entered the age of Drones and Virtual Reality headsets.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby jloco11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:33 pm

SmellyUndies wrote:
jloco11 wrote:My guess for both: Occulus Rift will sell well based on hype, offer 2-3 games at launch worthy of playing.... and then after that run through a list of shitty games that nobody will buy or play and the fad will die out.

There isn't too much of a shortage of OR games. They don't have AAA titles but damn do they have a selection of ones to choose from (mainly indies). Some people had creative ideas where all you do is play levels where you fall from the sky and try avoid all these big as obstacles below you - kinda trippy looking.
Outlast is on the OR and apparently it looks great. When you merge the Oculus with other types of VR or play it a 3D game with it, it looks amazing.

Shortage isn't the case... the Wii didn't have a shortage of games, they had a shortage of QUALITY games that wasn't shovelware crap.

After the few gems that are being developed, and indie games, the genre will be left with the garbage like Wii and Kinect were. EA, Activision and Ubi aren't going to pump massive resources into VR gaming unless it really takes off. Sony will have a studio or 2 make a game for it and probably port a popular AAA title to their version. I expect an Uncharted or God of War port to their headset.
jloco11

Postby SmellyUndies » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:46 pm

jloco11 wrote:
Shortage isn't the case... the Wii didn't have a shortage of games, they had a shortage of QUALITY games that wasn't shovelware crap.

After the few gems that are being developed, and indie games, the genre will be left with the garbage like Wii and Kinect were. EA, Activision and Ubi aren't going to pump massive resources into VR gaming unless it really takes off. Sony will have a studio or 2 make a game for it and probably port a popular AAA title to their version. I expect an Uncharted or God of War port to their headset.

Sony have their intentions planned rather well from what I have gathered off various sites.
They are giving themselves 1-2years more before a commercial VR is available (They're not giving these to PC indie devs, stricly PS4 developers only), so Sony would be exclusively holding their toys to themselves and handing them out to actual developers who actually intend on a making a game for their new system.
They're giving themselves flexibility with price by not even giving a ballpark estimate of what it could cost.
And the fact they won't just port a random game for the sake of them needing more games to feature on their VR headset.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby jloco11 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:29 pm

SmellyUndies wrote:
jloco11 wrote:

Sony have their intentions planned rather well from what I have gathered off various sites.
They are giving themselves 1-2years more before a commercial VR is available (They're not giving these to PC indie devs, stricly PS4 developers only), so Sony would be exclusively holding their toys to themselves and handing them out to actual developers who actually intend on a making a game for their new system.
They're giving themselves flexibility with price by not even giving a ballpark estimate of what it could cost.
And the fact they won't just port a random game for the sake of them needing more games to feature on their VR headset.

It's also just a prototype though... which is very odd that they would reveal only a prototype, because that's REALLY early for an initial reveal of new technology. Usually you want until you have a functioning model or demo, but they revealed real early.

If they didn't reveal it, they could always quietly close the project without it ever going public, but they went public early. It's like announcing a PS4, 2 years from release with a shell of the design without any of the meat on the inside.
jloco11

Postby SmellyUndies » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:45 pm

jloco11 wrote:
SmellyUndies wrote:
jloco11 wrote:

It's also just a prototype though... which is very odd that they would reveal only a prototype, because that's REALLY early for an initial reveal of new technology. Usually you want until you have a functioning model or demo, but they revealed real early.

If they didn't reveal it, they could always quietly close the project without it ever going public, but they went public early. It's like announcing a PS4, 2 years from release with a shell of the design without any of the meat on the inside.

Yoshida obviously has faith in the project.
One thing I think that will cause this idea to flop, is the fact this is PS4 only.
Oculus has a big advantage due to the fact it's had soo much PR over the last year and a half, so it has a lead from that but it is designed for PC gaming, a much bigger platform to game with. All OR need to do is produce bulk and good quality VR headsets and they will wipe Sony's attempt across the floor in terms of market share.
The PS4 could never reach levels that PC have so they'd have to pull something outta the bag that needs to wow.
They have the advantage of already producing high screen and sound quality (You could probably even say their ability to bring Indies devs in) but they are dabbling in territory that's unfamiliar and often unsuccessful. Time will tell though.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby a3grlmreaper » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:34 pm

So any particular reason why we need 2 threads on the same subject?

I take it Arnold was so excited for the chance to start a new thread, he didn't bother to check and see if bigb made one 2 1/2 hour prior.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 pm

a3grlmreaper wrote:So any particular reason why we need 2 threads on the same subject?

I take it Arnold was so excited for the chance to start a new thread, he didn't bother to check and see if bigb made one 2 1/2 hour prior.
Uh, actually, B's was made a good ten hours later.

Doesn't matter either way. This is a thread specifically for Morpheus discussion. B's was a news post regarding both this and the firmware changes because they both came to light at a similar time.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to PlayStation 4