Infamous Second Sons

Infamous Second Sons

Postby Treehugger » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Just my initial first impressions only about half way done the game, but this game was one of the 3-4 games that made me choose the PS4 over the XBox1. That being said I was overhyped and excited to dive into this game. To put it simply this game is a mixture of brilliance and disappointment. Its not heavenly disappointing its more along the lines of I was expecting more. A little bit about some of the game.

Story
The story takes place after the events of Infamous 2 where the world is fearful of Bio Terrorist or Conduits, where blah blah blah etc the new Protagonist enters at some random place, which serves to move the plot forward after some friends, enemies have a small confrontation. No big deal The plot eventually moves him to seattle or a city based off it, and it is beautifully done, the details and graphics are amazing. Definitely superior to Infamous 1 and 2, as they should be. Not going to spoil anything, however in the previous Infamous's after enough missions or time you start to get a better picture, and most of the time your working toward one goal with lots of mini goals or missions. However each mission is an important part in the story and serves a purpose, second sons however main missions feel inferior and don't really come together, they could have made them mesh a little bit better in my opinion. They honestly feel kind of random and lack the previous feelings in the previous games. Not saying they are bad, but up to the point I'm at I was expecting a little better.

Map
The map is divided into districts instead of one big island where you slowly take over. Brilliant well done, it makes it a lot easier. Not only that each district after playing enough missions tells you exactly where the side missions are, the blast shards, every single thing you need to get 100% trophies in some areas. NOTHING is hidden, which is great and disappointing since you know where everything is, but I wanted to explore hidden items. Even the "hidden items' as the mission calls them are shown. The map/city is easy to follow , the mini map is new I believe and really simple and well done. Just mark on the main map, and your on your way. After completing enough missions which I believe is 70% clear or 30% left to clear you get an option for a showdown. This is the final part in each district and it allows you to stop previous enemies from showing up by facing small-big waves, armored vehicles etc. Nice touch. So I applaud them for the map.

Main Characters
Okay the main character is a hipster sketch artist, now from a stand alone perspective. The character isn't terrible and is likable because of some moments...however coming from Cole McGrath is a tough act to follow, and Den....fuck I haven't even made a point to remember his name . Densil....Denzil...whatever doesn't deliver the way cole delivered. Its not necessary that he is a bad character its just that considering who the previous main character its hard to like him considering the badass, mr I CAN fucking blast megawatt hammers at fucking monsters, people, enemies, buses all day and not give a fuck. While I'm doing a Hero walkthrough off the gate and is pretty good, I honestly can't imagine this guy pulling off a convincing infamous badass not without being emo.

Side Characters
Some of the characters are bland, and the good characters aren't given enough screen time. I remember in Infamous 2 where we would mingle with the side characters before or after missions, during missions, and etc gave them a good opportunity to flesh out the characters. Second Sons hasn't done this well, up to this point. In fact the main character brother so far I've seen him maybe 2-3 times and every other conversation has been over the phone. I miss the face to face conversations, Though I expect to see 2-3 more people later on and will probably get more backstory. Still kind of disappointing, especially with the side side characters. In previous installments even the side characters in side missions stood out, and had individual characteristics. Not all of them of course, but their were some. So far every side character has been the same, no individuality they just clap, wave, or take pictures. If your evil I'm assuming they boo you or something else. This of course can change, I doubt it so far. Even the enemies, are the same. Not including the bosses/ main bosses previous games had variety we had reapers, dust men, first sons, ice man, corrupted, hive minds, ravengers, we had different stages. Honestly too me I only seen two types of enemies ones who shoot me, ones who use their "powers". I know they are varied a little bit, but so far not enough variation for my taste.

Powers
Not going to get into this one a lot, but nothing disappointing so far. Only have two powers and I think I'm close to a third. The powers are amazing, the skill tree and abilities and mapping of the powers is more complicated, but insanely easy to get use to. I like the layout and the way they structured it. Nothing bad to say about it. The ability to switch and control of the powers is on point perfect. Small spoiler
Spoiler: show
NEON FUCKING RUNNING ON BUILDINGS LIMITLESS WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT OF THAT BUT I LOVE THEM. I mean seriously it makes escaping and traveling way to easy.

Missions
I covered story missions, but the side missions are way to repetitive. Each district has the same type of missions just slightly different numbers, destroy a camera, free some people, do this etc. It wouldn't be so bad but half the time you don't have to talk to anyone to tell you what to do you just go up and start them. So with no characters telling you to start the mission they all feel the sme. I realize that previous Infamous's also had the same missions. It feels like they gave us less then them though.

Etc other stuff.
They did add a lot of other stuff like stencils and etc to make the game feel more like its own, but it feels like they limited what they could have done. The story mainly being about freedom and control. I was hoping to see more aspects of both sides, more dialogues or cut scenes. The graphic novel cutscenes which thankfully the game still has just rare moments. Also suckerpunch of course has easter eggs from other games which are delight to see.

Overall this game isn't bad so far, but it seems they took a safe route. They gave us everything in the original games, but lowered them slightly and traded them in for superior graphics. They threw in a few new things to make it slightly different that works sometimes, but sometimes feels kind of meh That's what I feel at least. ALSO its the 3rd game, going for the expert trophy where you beat it on expert. WHY HASNT SOMEONE SUGGESTED LETS PUT THE FUCKING DIFFICULTY BEFORE YOU START THE GAME. the previous two games were like this and you had to manually switch it to hard from the get go, at some point it would gauge your skill and set it for you thats when you know hey you can change it. Second Sons didn't even do that. I don't know how I will feel after the game. Also gotta replay it for the other ending, apparently their are multiple not just one and two.

So far this game would get a 8.5/10 for me on its own, however if we put it among the Infamous Series it drops to maybe a 7.... 7.5/10.

I would go into more detail, but I gotta go to fucking work. Will probably put in a few more hours when I get back.

EDIT ( 3 hours later and roughly 74-77% done the game) I have only 3 districts left to clear and how many main missions left. I cleared all the DUP areas and only have to do the tedious side missions. On the positive note new types of enemies with different attacks came in, and one battle was a challenge it wasn't hard but fucking cheap on the Expert difficulty, but I welcomed it. Also unlocked a new power....did not see this one coming AT ALL I mean we have had ice, oil, lightning, smoke, neon and then this shit comes out from left field and hits you with a bat and river dances on your head. I thought it was lame too but when you upgrade HOLY HELL BATMAN it shreds through enemies like fucking wet toilet paper. So while the main story is not significantly improving, it did get a lot better for me with the new editions.

ANOTHER EDIT: Just beat the game and I gotta say it picks up the last half of the 2nd island/city. The missions get better, the introduction of new enemies was nice. The final boss battle was simple, on Expert it took me a while to beat only died once. Its not hard just drawn out since she has high defensive properties. Also you generally do low amounts of damage though it was fun to do. Also side characters earlier in the game show up, which I was happy to see. Now replaying to see the evil karma, though I don't suspect a lot will change. Since from the beginning to end their weren't many choices maybe 4-5 while the previous had them out the ass.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Re: Infamous Second Sons

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Just started it myself today. Enjoying it so far. Only got smoke at this point though, think I'm about to meet Laser Girl from the gameplay trailers soon.

The free-running/parkour seems a bit hit and miss sometimes, think it could have been a bit cleaner. Also there's been a few instances of stupid AI (standing still and spinning around). For the most part though the AI is good.

I know what you mean about wanting more face-to-face conversations. I quite liked the scenes where he was with his brother; hopefully there are more scenes like that later on.

Currently doing my Good Karma playthrough on Expert difficulty, and it's going alright. Accidently lost good karma a few times a little carelessly, orbit dropping on a bunch of civilians, but it's generally easy to regain the lost karma. I like the orbit drop as it doesn't really charge up regularly enough so that I'm using it every fight. The trophy list looks alright as well. Got the standard collectible trophy, but also some fun ones which are quite straightforward to get, like Cough Drop and Excessive Force.

Hopefully the collectible hunting will be less painful in this than it was in the first Infamous game. Didn't even play the second one after that because I was sick of looking for blast shards.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Treehugger » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:10 pm

I went with Good Karma and Expert too and some parts pissed me off later on when a super move was critical to my survival and right before I get the 6th subdue he would move and I'd hit an enemy behind him or a civilian or some shit and end up dying. For the most part it wasn't hard you just have to play more carefully. I had full Good Karma 3/4 into the game. Also if I remember correctly the previous infamous the drop button was circle not square. Or maybe that was uncharted...I know some game had drop as circle which in this game throws you off. I already got all the collectibles on my first playthrough it was hard not too, 1. they tell you where everything is right off the bat 2. the number of blast shards was never more then 13-14 in each district. Also I have to check this out again, but I beat the game and forgot to save, but luckily I saved before the boss. I believe I had one power left and 4 shards. So they give you exactly enough to have all the powers, so you don't have to grind for both powers. I honestly hated that part. Also the second game I got all the shards because of an ability to literally pointed you in the direction of them only reason I got it, without it I would have said fuck it lol.

I felt it weird the smoke power turned to be the most worthless in combat for me at least later on, I know its smoke but it doesn't feel like its putting enough punch.

EDIT: Going through Evil just saw the Fetch Introduction scene so glad I saw it, and then Fetch and Delsin start making out on the middle of the street okay
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby jloco11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

I played the original one as a free game when PSN went down. It was fun, but didn't really blow me away. I was happy with it being a free game without spending anything on it to play.

Then I downloaded the demo for part 2, and wasn't impressed. Felt like the mechanics of the game regressed, and I had a hard time adjusting the view difference from part 1. I spent the majority of the time in the demo trying to figure out if I liked looking over the right or left shoulder, but in the end decided I liked neither. Didn't purchase it, didn't care.

The game looks pretty, but I never found this series to be something I would be willing to buy and plan for a long period of time.
jloco11

Postby a3grlmreaper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:35 pm

jloco11 wrote:I played the original one as a free game when PSN went down. It was fun, but didn't really blow me away. I was happy with it being a free game without spending anything on it to play.

Then I downloaded the demo for part 2, and wasn't impressed. Felt like the mechanics of the game regressed, and I had a hard time adjusting the view difference from part 1. I spent the majority of the time in the demo trying to figure out if I liked looking over the right or left shoulder, but in the end decided I liked neither. Didn't purchase it, didn't care.

The game looks pretty, but I never found this series to be something I would be willing to buy and plan for a long period of time.

I got the 1st one the same way, then borrowed the 2nd one from a friend about a month or 2 ago (ironically, it's still sitting on my desk even though I completed both storylines over a month ago

The demo was weird, yet for some reason the full game is a bit better, maybe you just get used to it. It wouldn't be a horrible way to kill time if you had an extra $20 laying around and needed something new to tie you over till another game. It features User Created missions, so you'll never run out of missions to do, though you may hit a shortage of quality missions.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby jloco11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:37 pm

a3grlmreaper wrote:
jloco11 wrote:I played the original one as a free game when PSN went down. It was fun, but didn't really blow me away. I was happy with it being a free game without spending anything on it to play.

I got the 1st one the same way, then borrowed the 2nd one from a friend about a month or 2 ago (ironically, it's still sitting on my desk even though I completed both storylines over a month ago

The demo was weird, yet for some reason the full game is a bit better, maybe you just get used to it. It wouldn't be a horrible way to kill time if you had an extra $20 laying around and needed something new to tie you over till another game. It features User Created missions, so you'll never run out of missions to do, though you may hit a shortage of quality missions.

My issue between the 2 was the orientation of which hand you shoot with. Both videos here are from the angle I prefer. However the first game used the right hand to fire, while the second game switched it over to the left hand. It didn't really work for me, I couldn't visually adjust to that and didn't like it.

http://youtu.be/DdK59T6NmWA?t=1m21s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i102ZO8wJkI
jloco11

Postby a3grlmreaper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:58 pm

If you pushed the right stick, it switched the hands.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby jloco11 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:37 pm

a3grlmreaper wrote:If you pushed the right stick, it switched the hands.

Correct... it switched the view though over the left shoulder.

Game 1 was Right hand over Right shoulder... Left hand over Left shoulder
Game 2 was Right hand over Left shoulder... Left hand over Right shoulder

In a third person viewing mode, that messed up my perception big time. Oddly enough, the second game, is more in line with TPS games (usually a right handed shooter has his left shoulder facing forward). But then again I am one of the few people who play my control setting inverted.
jloco11

Postby a3grlmreaper » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:09 pm

And thus raising the question, how is it in the 3rd game

L:L R:R or L:R R:L?
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby SmellyUndies » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:22 pm

a3grlmreaper wrote:And thus raising the question, how is it in the 3rd game

L:L R:R or L:R R:L?

Will inform you later today, but it plays well, the view angles feel better than previous games IMO.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Next

Return to PlayStation 4