Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Postby Arnold Sideways » Fri May 29, 2015 12:21 am

So I've just started playing this on the PS4, thought it would be good to get a thread going for this as well to help people to find co-op partners and the like.

For people just starting the game I would recommend taking a look at Mark's DSII tips thread: viewtopic.php?f=312&t=103994

Apparently there have been multiple changes to enemy placements and such, so some advice contained in previous forum posts about DSII (not just the one above) might not be accurate.

Personally I'm sticking to my tried and tested Souls formula of Dex build with shield, so chose the character class that starts the game with 16 Dex. At least for the first playthrough I find that I sometimes need to cheese bosses and certain enemies, so having high enough Dex to use a bow really comes in handy. It's a bad habit I know, but it was the only way that I could beat Demon's Souls.

Already Bloodborne has screwed me over as I keep forgetting that the Souls series doesn't have a regain system, so I take less care about being hit. The change in Estus flask usage from DS1 to DS2 seems odd. Only get limited uses of it for a while. After beating the first boss I'd done enough exploring to be able to use it 4 times per life, which felt like a step backwards from the DS1 system. The game also feels a little slower than I remember DeS and DS1 being, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Has anyone else picked this up?
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Postby LivingSky » Fri May 29, 2015 6:18 am

I've been playing it and almost finished it, and also if you feel its different to all the souls before it there is a good reason for it, DS2 was made by a different director than all the others, that's why DS2 doesn't have the maps intertwining with each other like DS1.

Also I don't blame you for cheesing some bosses in Demon souls, that freaking armoured spider was a pain, I just pumped her full of arrows till she died, I was having none of that shit at close range.
LivingSky
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Arnold Sideways » Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 am

I only beat the Flamelurker properly on NG++, had to cheese him with invisibility and poison the first few times.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby LivingSky » Fri May 29, 2015 4:57 pm

owww that prick, I think I've never actually killed him legit I just get him stuck on the left and just hit him from there till he dies.
LivingSky
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Mi2Lethal » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:45 pm

I will probably pick this up later in the year.
I am regretting that I didn't play DS1 and DS2 when they first came out.
Didn't imagine I would enjoy this types of games but of course Bloodborne proved the opposite.
Mi2Lethal
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby LivingSky » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Mi2Lethal wrote:I will probably pick this up later in the year.
Didn't imagine I would enjoy this types of games but of course Bloodborne proved the opposite.

just remember that bloodborne has a totally different play style that all the other souls game. the other ones are more focus on you letting the enemy hit first and then retaliate.
LivingSky
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Mi2Lethal » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:09 pm

LivingSky wrote:

just remember that bloodborne has a totally different play style that all the other souls game. the other ones are more focus on you letting the enemy hit first and then retaliate.

Yep Souls games seems to focus more on defensive playstyle whereas Bloodborne is all about movement.
Mi2Lethal
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Mi2Lethal wrote:
LivingSky wrote:

Yep Souls games seems to focus more on defensive playstyle whereas Bloodborne is all about movement.
Eh, it just gives you the option. I didn't use shields much so it was still all about movement for me.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arnold Sideways » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Unless you're really good at video games then the first time you play Demon's Souls sword+board is really the only option.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Musashi1596 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Arnold Sideways wrote:Unless you're really good at video games then the first time you play Demon's Souls sword+board is really the only option.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to PlayStation 4