Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

Postby LivingSky » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:26 am

If you want a dex build I would recommend double black steel katana with power stance, its decently strong and its fun playing with the power stance mechanic.

also the crow in this game is in the first tree in thing betwixt.
LivingSky
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby LivingSky » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:29 am

Musashi1596 wrote:You can sell things, but only on specific occasions. Gavlan is the only merchant who buys things from you, at least in the vanilla game, and you only see him a few times.

you unlock Gavlan as a permanent NPC after talking with him in the pirate cove and the windmill poison place (im terrible at remembering names).
LivingSky
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:21 am

LivingSky wrote:
Musashi1596 wrote:You can sell things, but only on specific occasions. Gavlan is the only merchant who buys things from you, at least in the vanilla game, and you only see him a few times.

you unlock Gavlan as a permanent NPC after talking with him in the pirate cove and the windmill poison place (im terrible at remembering names).
Far as I know he stays at the Doors of Pharos.

I believe the Blacksteel is one of the best Dex weapons in the game, but owing to its higher stat requirements, the Uchi is a better target in early-mid game. Only swap to the Blacksteel once you pass 32 Endurance. I used the Blacksteel myself, but two-handed. Looking at my character now, I'm still on the Faith build I was trying out (level 214, 99 Faith) so can't easily experiment. I personally don't like dual wielding, but it offers more raw power.

As for armour, I'm only wearing light gloves and a light helmet due to my lowered endurance, but the Drangelic Mail and Vengarl's Boots I'm wearing, I'm pretty sure I wore before too. As always I go for a good defence/weight ratio rather than full protection. I have penal handcuffs on for their fire defence. Think I used to wear Drangleic gauntlets with nothing on my head.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby LivingSky » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:23 am

i personally just used the set the armor merchant gives you after giving him 10k souls and coming back to him with 0. granted is not the best defence but with the buff it gave you it was worth it.
LivingSky
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Mi2Lethal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:42 pm

So I picked this game up earlier than I intended to and what can I say, I have really enjoyed my time with it.
I've sunk in about 120 hours into this game, it took me about 50-60 hours to beat the game on my first try mainly because I had no familiarity with series and having played Bloodborne a few months ago it took me a while to learn what works and what doesn't. I actually got the platinum for it as well recently, while originally I had no plans of going for it as some the covenants can take time to rank up but I met someone while summoning him to a boss fight who was ranking up the same covenant as me (Heirs of the Sun) and from then we just used bonfire ascetic like 20 times on a boss to fully rank up our covenant and get the rare spell.

As far as what I used during the game goes, well 1st playthrough it was all about the dual Maces, I slashed my way through the 2nd run with Katanas, particularly the Manslayer. Poisoon infused dual Manslayers were quite potent because two hits from it while power stancing poisoned just about every enemy. As of right now I am at the end of my 3rd run of the game now and this time I've gone with a Sorcery/Dex build and it's not too bad actually. I did some testing with Hexes and Miracles but I thought they were a bit weak compared to Sorcery.

Some of the locations in the game especially the ones in the DLCs were beautiful, in fact my favourite area of the entire game was the frozen place called Eleum Loyce or something in one of the DLC areas.

Some of the things I liked:
Power stancing
Large amount of different weapons and builds
Locations
Some boss fights were cool and interesting

Things that annoyed me:
Some of the bosses' runbacks were terrible particularly in the DLCs
Weapon durability was out of control, some weapons lose 1/4 of their durability after killing like 5 enemies with it. Although this may only be an issue on the SoTFS not in last gen version. <--- Can someone confirm this.

Thats all pros/cons I can think of right now.
Mi2Lethal
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Treehugger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:21 pm

50-60 hours is a decent length for a first playthrough. I haven't played it yet though. I plan on picking it up...maybe in November when no games I want come out.

Dual maces....interesting.

I really hope Dark Souls III is a fall game next year so I have time to play through this one first. I don't believe they follow in story, but I would still like to beat it first.

How was the fume knight fight?

As for the durability. That was a glitch I remember reading about for PS4 and PC....I think Xbox1 too due to the 60fps the durability drained like it had diarrhea. I believe they implemented a patch to fix it. It should have downloaded or tried to download once you started the game. Check your notifications. Its listed under the info in one of the patches. The last gen versions worked fine since they were only 30fps.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Arnold Sideways » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:12 pm

From what I remember it was a bug tied to the way in which they computed how your durability drained. They did in based on framerate, and there was a bug where hitting enemy corpses would reduce your weapons durability by a ridiculous amount.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Mi2Lethal » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:31 pm

It only downloaded 1 update when I first inserted the disc into the console and none since.

Only died a couple of times to the Fume Knight actually but the boss that gave me the most trouble was the Ruin Sentinels. It's a boss early in the game and with me being new to the game didn't help nor the fact that I was fighting 3 of them.

At first I wanted to start from Dark Souls 1 to get the full experience but my biggest was using the PS3 controller, I just can't get use to it after having used the PS4 for a year now. Plus the left thumbsticks on my PS3 controllers are worn out from COD :lol: .
Mi2Lethal
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Mi2Lethal wrote:At first I wanted to start from Demon's Souls to get the full experience
fixed
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arnold Sideways » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Demon's Souls is Best Souls.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to PlayStation 4