The Next BIG Game

The Next BIG Game

Postby a3grlmreaper » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:56 am

Lots of big titles are coming out, so I figured it be nice to set aside a small thread where we can talk about what games we're excited for. Given that the most talked about game in the G4L thread is still Destiny, that should tell you all you need to know about how great the recent releases have been.

First game I am foaming at the bit to get my hands on is Arkham Knight. While Arkham Origins wasn't all that impressive to me, Rocksteady is back at the wheel and it looks like they are ready to send their big franchise out with a bang.

Next one that appeals to my personally is the new Rainbow Six game. I've always loved how the franchise put a tactical spin on the FPS genre. Granted the newer games have been a bit more flashy, I will always love the first and original Rainbow Six game, where you had to plan out everything. For those of you who never played it, you had to assign teams from a large number of operatives with varrying skill levels, if an operator gets injured you wont be able to use him for a few levels, and if he dies, he is out of the campaign. You had to choose weapons and equipment for each person, and how much armor they had. Then you had to place the waypoints for each team, and plan out every detail of your assault. Which team goes where when, what actions they do (i.e. breach this door, secure this hostage) then if you wanted to coordinate an assault on a specific area, you could set them to wait at a waypoint until you gave the order and all go in at once.

The final one, and the one I'm most excited about is ARK: Survival Evolved. Anyone who watches Twitch has probably seen this game. Think of it like Rust meets Jurassic Park. You get bows, guns, and dinosaurs and a bunch of other crazy animals that can be tamed and ridden. Its a survival game so you need to worry about food, water, and temperature. It's currently in alpha early access on steam, but it will be coming over to PS4 at an unknown time. From what I've seen from live streams, this is a game that seriously lives up to the hype, which has become a really rare occurrence.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Re: The Next BIG Game

Postby SmellyUndies » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:32 am

ARK SE sounds 150% exactly like that other completely shit PC Kickstarter Alpha game that released on Steam.
Developer supported for literally 2 weeks and then ran off the with money.
Had every single feature listed there and it was the worst turd to grace someones gaming library.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:34 am

I expect my answer is likely to change after E3, which is almost upon us.

In regards to retail releases..
I'm very tempted to get Batman on release, because Rocksteady, 'nuff said.
And then we have Fallout 4 and Deus Ex, no release dates yet as far as I'm aware. But sci-fi RPGs, I love 'em.
And yes, I have not forgotten Mass Effect, but I think it's fair to say that's still a way off.
So in terms of games that actually have release dates, I guess Metal Gear Solid 5 and then Uncharted 4 would be near the top of the list at the moment. Mad Max could be a surprise hit, but it could go either way, definitely waiting on reviews for that one. It's going to have a hard time going up against MGS 5 I suspect.

Seeing as so very many games have been delayed this gen so far I'm not surprised we're not seeing so many release dates announced now.

As for Indie games, too many to mention that I'm really excited for, and most people won't have a clue what I'm on about anyway, heh.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Treehugger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:11 pm

Right now I only have three game preordered.

The first being Uncharted 4....its without a doubt going to be GOTY to me....except its 2016.

Second is MGS V....which will probably be my GOTY which is currently Bloodborne. However Bloodborne to some people is extremely limited.

The Division....this one I am really skeptical about....and I believe their is a 70% chance they are going to fuck it up....but on the off chance they don't this could be the best game in a while...even though it got delayed as well.

If I remember correctly their is an indie game that looks like a mix of little big planet and some horror shit. I think it was called Hunger? Platforming while giants are around and want to eat you. It looked very interesting.

Everything else I will just rent for a week and return. Oh and Rainbow Six looks interesting worried how much playability it has. Though I believe they said their is a campaign now...before it was unsure. If that's true I will definitely be on that.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby SmellyUndies » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:37 pm

Forgot I didn't write my upcoming line up.

Payday 2 for PS4 releases tomorrow for NZ so when I arrive home, I'll have a copy sitting on my door step ready. (This is basically HAYTRED's only lineup he has)
Nothing really to complain about here, we've been given the PS3 version for PS+ and played the hell outta that laggy game and it was great, comes with most/all the DLC PC players only got including playable Keanu fucking Reeves. Shame I expect more seizures to come the PS4 version too because of 1080p.

Fallout 4 is interesting but I already expressed little faith because I believe Bethesda have no clue what to do with the franchise they bought into, they'd be better off having Obsidian Entertainment develop the game and have Bethesda slap their publishing name on it to get all the fanbase in.

The Division I have high hopes for. I didn't hate Watch_Dogs, it was fun and to me the story was pretty nice, gameplay was solid apart from the driving but the Division likely won't have any driving in it. It'll have the new new new engine which looked nice. I really think Ubisoft can pull this off.

Arkham Knight is something I should obsess about but in due time I will, still on the fence whether I bother to put down money for this or just hire it out.

Lastly is probably either ME4 or UC4. I'll buy the UC remastered pack for PS4 first though, I played 20 minutes of the UC3 MP and it was too hectic too get used too w/o playing the story.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 pm

a3grlmreaper wrote:Lots of big titles are coming out, so I figured it be nice to set aside a small thread where we can talk about what games we're excited for. Given that the most talked about game in the G4L thread is still Destiny, that should tell you all you need to know about how great the recent releases have been
Buy The Witcher, all of you
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:24 pm

I would say The Witcher 3 is easily the best game this gen.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Treehugger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:11 pm

SmellyUndies wrote:The Division I have high hopes for. I didn't hate Watch_Dogs, it was fun and to me the story was pretty nice, gameplay was solid apart from the driving

If they had implemented Sleeping Dogs or...its been a while but I think GTA5 also had smooth driving...and you could shoot while doing it. I know hacking shit was cool while driving, but I would have loved to shoot out some tires while causing a blackout. Overall I enjoyed Watch_Dogs as well it took until Act 2 to pick up in story, but it was a decent game.

Edit: Also wouldn't this topic be better for games than PS4?
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby jloco11 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:23 pm

I look at things differently: Popular games & community games.

Popular games are ones that people will buy and play, but not get a lot of time with each on the motherfucker. Batman & Witcher fall into this, The Last of Us as well.... games that people will certainly play, but with the limited co-op opportunities and focus on SP functionality, it won't turn into a community game. It will stay popular and the moments we get to play with each other, will be limited.

Then you have a community game. Call of Duty of yesteryear, Destiny, GTA V. Doesn't matter how good or bad, people will play it because you can play with friends. COD has sucked ass for years, but people play together because it's fun in groups. Destiny is a shell of a game, but playing with friends makes it entertaining. GTA had open world fun with a limited scope of scripted things to do (majority of the fun was just making your own fun).

So when you look at the list of games, I see Batman as a Popular game. I still see Destiny as a community game.

And lastly... the Division. I can't lie, but this game worries me. I've said it a few times, but Ubisoft's track record recently leads me to believe this game is going to have issues. All their new IPs went through issues in their first game. AC and Watch Dogs.... both had similar complaints about lack of things to do, repetitiveness, trailers not matching the content of the game etc.

I think the Division could be heading down that path. People went apeshit over the graphics and mechanics of the main character closing the police car door in the trailer, but when we saw gameplay, it was pretty mundane and stale. Third person shooter mechanics, nothing impressive and the speed of the gameplay was relatively slow for a 3PS.

Could that change? Certainly. But my gut is telling me this game is not going to live up to the hype. It could still be a decent game, but nowhere near the expected product the community is making it out to be.

Finally there is Mass Effect 4. Bioware, please? Release that gold mine of fun quickly dammit!
jloco11

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:30 pm

I share your concerns but personally I really liked the slow pace of the shooting. If it was all guns blazing it would just feel like another typical TPS. Slower pace to me indicates that it's more about being careful, getting properly positioned, picking your shots, etc. Right up my street. Methodical, small team based shooting is pretty uncommon, and that's why the gameplay footage struck a chord with me.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to PlayStation 4