Yellow Light of Death!

Re: Yellow Light of Death!

Postby immerume2 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:11 pm

I fixed mine with a hair dryer. Worked very well until I got rid of it. Just blow the hair dryer through the back of the PS3 where the fans are for 10-15 minutes. Let it sit where you had it and put a fan on it to help cool down. 30 minutes later it should turn back on. You can always just snag the drive out of it though.
immerume2
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby deathbynumbers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 pm

It's not an awful idea lol wrap a towel or something around the vents on the front though so the heat builds up a little and it might prove a decent enough job.
deathbynumbers

Postby saint1970 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:21 pm

I did post on here but it seems to have gone. Gettin mine reflowed reballed £30 ish. Did it myself first but only lasted couple weeks with hardly any play time. Still, got a spare.320gb from fone contract
saint1970
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deathbynumbers » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:22 pm

That's a great price, considering the cost of doing it yourself, most repairers usually charge more than that. Lmao if I didn't know you I wouldn't even take it apart and re-assemble it for £30! What sort of machine are they using to do the reball/reflow? A bga infrared workstation or an oven? There's a fair bit of difference between the two and the ovens shouldn't really be used for repairs (though BBC watchdog used a few anyway). Either way though so long as they aren't just using a heatgun or conventional oven (I've see it done haha) then it's well worth paying £50.
deathbynumbers

Postby hnic_04 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:36 am

hey, just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I ended up finding a guy through craigslist who fixed it for $40 and gave me a 3month warranty. It is back up and running and quieter than ever. Hasn't made a sound or shown any signs it will fail anytime soon. Backed up the hd this time and am debating selling it and "upgrading" to a slim. We shall see
hnic_04
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Postby GoD_GraveDancer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:50 pm

hnic_04 wrote: am debating selling it and "upgrading" to a slim. We shall see

Do it. Upgrade now. Any YLOD fix is only temporary.
GoD_GraveDancer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby deathbynumbers » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:53 pm

GoD_GraveDancer wrote:

I completely agree with this. The first one I fixed lasted 5 hrs, but when I did it again it lasted 6 months. Might be worth getting rid of it sooner than later, at least you can deactivate your psn account too.
deathbynumbers

Postby hnic_04 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:27 pm

deathbynumbers wrote:
GoD_GraveDancer wrote:

I completely agree with this. The first one I fixed lasted 5 hrs, but when I did it again it lasted 6 months. Might be worth getting rid of it sooner than later, at least you can deactivate your psn account too.

deactivating my account was the first thing i did after backing it up! i'll likely get rid of it, post it on cl in a few days
hnic_04
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Previous

Return to Tech Support