Anyone use a gaming monitor with their PS3?

Anyone use a gaming monitor with their PS3?

Postby gigitygigity » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Been seeing a few things suggesting that your bog standard plasma is not the best thing for gaming really.

Anyone use a monitor over a 'normal' TV for their gaming? They seem quiet cheap as well compared to regular TV's, just wondering if anyone can share any thoughts on this subject.
gigitygigity

Re: Anyone use a gaming monitor with their PS3?

Postby greasedupbadger » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Might simply be down to the smaller size of a monitor, ive heard a few people say they find it harder to keep track of everything on a larger screen.
greasedupbadger
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Good luck attracting his attention to the topic but I think Spazzy uses a monitor for gaming.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Pauly » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:22 pm

I have a friend who swore buy it till he bought a 32in LCD. The max you really should go for gaming is around 32-36. Anything higher makes it harder to analyze the screen quickly. I used to play on a 65in and that was fucking ridiculous. You may not get the same resolution settings as with a monitor though. What are you looking ot know? I can ask my friend and he can supply answers.
Pauly
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Postby deathbynumbers » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:33 pm

I think GG's referring to the post processing consumer televisions perform that introduce input lag, rather than the visual look of the picture. Some tv's have a gaming mode that decreases input lag (not response time, which is slightly different as far as I'm aware) at the expense of reduced quality visuals. The only way of testing would be to compare different setups across a range of tv's and monitors. If its what GG's talking about, results would vary according to the model of monitor.
deathbynumbers

Postby gigitygigity » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Yeah, was watching a youtube video and the guy was beats and he swore by a 32" monitor with a 2ms response time. With no games really going over 60hz he was saying the lower hz rating is more than compensated for by the super fast response time. I believe a standard TV responds much faster.

Even TBOG was saying he did better when playing on a monitor, but obviously you know I can't take his word for it alone.
gigitygigity

Postby deathbynumbers » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Response time isn't the same thing as input lag though GG, generally speaking you want a fast response time but that's no indication of decreased input lag. What you could try is an adapter and plug the ps3 in by that as a lot of display manufacturers don't offer the same image processing options for the VGA port. That might solve things for you, I'll try my ps3 later on my monitor and see if it's better or worse.
deathbynumbers

Postby Pauly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Of all my years on my HD tv I haven't had a problem other than in music games. Usually it is no more than a few ms but honestly, are you looking for spot on? I play on my HD component cables and not HDMI. Don't know if that makes a difference as well.
Pauly
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Return to Tech Support