Windows 10 & Media Player

Windows 10 & Media Player

Postby jloco11 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:08 pm

I don't come here for tech help unless something is pissing me off and I can't find an answer.

I did the free Windows 10 upgrade a few days ago, and noticed that every video that I open... in any progam, Windows Media Player, Quicktime etc... will be blurry on the right side of the video. And I can't find anything in the internet as to why that's happening.

The videos themselves are not blurry, they're perfectly fine. Videos that I render or watch in Sony Vegas as I am rendering are perfectly fine. It's strictly an issue with Windows Media Player and Quicktime, but probably more so the issue is Windows 10.

Has anyone seen this, heard of this, or smarter than me to find the answers on Google? I searched for like 45 minutes last night and didn't find a single answer to the issue. I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling WMP, but since it was happening on Quicktime also, I don't think it was an issue with the programs.
jloco11

Re: Windows 10 & Media Player

Postby AceofSpadesX131 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:07 pm

This is either a bug within the windows 10 system, a video compatibility issuevideo (ie: .mp4,acc), or a processing failure withiin your computer itself.

Anyways, have you:
1. Restarted your computer Twice after installing windows 10?
2. Stick a thumb drive with your old videos in the computer and played them via Windows Media Player?
3. Disabled any and all anti virus software when running your stored videos?
AceofSpadesX131
Private
Private

Postby jloco11 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:28 pm

AceofSpadesX131 wrote:This is either a bug within the windows 10 system, a video compatibility issuevideo (ie: .mp4,acc), or a processing failure withiin your computer itself.

Anyways, have you:
2. Stick a thumb drive with your old videos in the computer and played them via Windows Media Player?

I've restarted about 4-5 times and nothing.

It's all videos... ones that were on the laptop to begin and videos that weren't on the laptop before on external drives.

Haven't tried the virus crap, but would a virus program really cause a video to be blurry on 1 side?
jloco11

Postby deathbynumbers » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Did you just do the upgrade? I thought it was recommended that you do a fresh install after the upgrade. Maybe that is causing issues?
deathbynumbers

Postby jloco11 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:39 pm

deathbynumbers wrote:Did you just do the upgrade? I thought it was recommended that you do a fresh install after the upgrade. Maybe that is causing issues?

I got a popup on my screen for the past few weeks, FREE UPRADE TO WINDOWS 10, that I kept ignoring.

Then this week I got a message from my "update center"... usually it tells me to restart the laptop because it needs to install something. So I listen to the motherfucker because those updates always tend to mess with my recording programs or Sony Vegas if I don't do them.

But this time it was telling me that I can upgrade to Windows 10 for free now. So I did. Process took like 2 hours or so. I have fucking clue what I did, I just listened to the update center that's been on point for the past few years.
jloco11

Postby AceofSpadesX131 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 pm

jloco11 wrote:
AceofSpadesX131 wrote:This is either a bug within the windows 10 system, a video compatibility issuevideo (ie: .mp4,acc), or a processing failure withiin your computer itself.

Anyways, have you:

It's all videos... ones that were on the laptop to begin and videos that weren't on the laptop before on external drives.

Haven't tried the virus crap, but would a virus program really cause a video to be blurry on 1 side?

virus software question: no but it would help disect some theories

I don't want to conclude that the problem is a compatibility issue. But it seems like it from the issue you are describing. Have you tried looking into system properties for Windows Media Player and Sony Vagas and see what "properties" (tabs) have changed?

Have you also uploaded a random video to youtube and see if that blurry effect occurred?
AceofSpadesX131
Private
Private

Postby jloco11 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:41 pm

AceofSpadesX131 wrote:
jloco11 wrote:

Anyways, have you:

I don't want to conclude that the problem is a compatibility issue. But it seems like it from the issue you are describing. Have you tried looking into system properties for Windows Media Player and Sony Vagas and see what "properties" (tabs) have changed?

Have you also uploaded a random video to youtube and see if that blurry effect occurred?

The blurry effect doesn't occur anywhere else other than my laptop in viewing a video. Today's video was made on Sony Vegas (with an old gameplay video) and seen perfectly fine in Vegas.

The blurriness only occurs when I watch the video on my laptop through WMP. It's fine watching it on youtube, it was fine before the upgrade, and only happens when I try to watch videos with WMP.
jloco11

Postby AceofSpadesX131 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:03 pm

jloco11 wrote:
AceofSpadesX131 wrote:
jloco11 wrote:

Anyways, have you:

The blurry effect doesn't occur anywhere else other than my laptop in viewing a video. Today's video was made on Sony Vegas (with an old gameplay video) and seen perfectly fine in Vegas.

The blurriness only occurs when I watch the video on my laptop through WMP. It's fine watching it on youtube, it was fine before the upgrade, and only happens when I try to watch videos with WMP.

ight. I just did some research and microsoft has previously dealt with these similar issues before. Ill post the solution here:

Method 1: Run the Windows Media Player Settings and Library troubleshooters and check whether the issue is resolved.

Open the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter

a. Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
b. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
c. Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings.
d. Also run the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter.

If issue persists follow method 2:

Method 2 : Disable and then enable Windows media Player from the Windows Features and see if the issue persists.

a. Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
b. Select Programs and Features.
c. Click Turn Windows features on or off. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
d. Click on Media Features.
e. To turn Windows Media Player off, clear the check box. Click OK and then restart the computer.
To Turn Windows Media Player ON, click on the checkbox once again and click OK. And then restart the computer.

You may find this solution to be out of date to the current version of WMP. I expect you can find your way wthlugh.

Other than that I have no more solutions to offer you. You may have to wait for a while until microsoft realizes that parts of their applications don't work.
AceofSpadesX131
Private
Private

Postby jloco11 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:10 pm

So I tried all of those steps. Checked off Media, restarted...checked back on later and restarted and still blurry.

Did the troubleshooting, and had a warning/error that the program had an issue, but it gave me no indication how to fix that issue.

In the end, I fixed it.... by downgrading back to 8.1. Fuck that, didn't like some of the features from 10 anyways (how can you not Alt+Tab to the fucking desktop?!?!?!?!?!?) so I'm back on the older shit that worked. Videos can be seen again, fuck Windows 10 for now.
jloco11

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:22 pm

jloco11 wrote:So I tried all of those steps. Checked off Media, restarted...checked back on later and restarted and still blurry.

Did the troubleshooting, and had a warning/error that the program had an issue, but it gave me no indication how to fix that issue.

In the end, I fixed it.... by downgrading back to 8.1. Fuck that, didn't like some of the features from 10 anyways (how can you not Alt+Tab to the fucking desktop?!?!?!?!?!?) so I'm back on the older shit that worked. Videos can be seen again, fuck Windows 10 for now.
Wow. It must have messed up pretty bad for Windows 8.1 to be described as 'shit that worked'
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Tech Support