The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Gaming Forum For Multi-Platform Games

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Anybody else excited for the Witcher 3? Personally I can't wait, big fan of the first game, though I couldn't play the second properly because I had difficulty running it. Anyway going to try and post some of the feedback that I find. It's released on the 19th.

First was from the wonderful PS3T, who seemed to like it very much, scoring it 92/100, which is pretty promising.
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game ... nt/review/

Four stars from the less wonderful GamesRadar, which is pretty decent, but consider that they marked 'punishing combat' as a negative
http://www.gamesradar.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-review
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Postby jloco11 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:36 pm

I never got into the prior Witchers... and they hype surrounding this one seems to be well justified based on the look and graphics.

However, I will wait on it to see how the reviews pan out.
jloco11

Postby Treehugger » Tue May 12, 2015 4:48 pm

I'm honestly on the fence.

I dislike RPGs mostly because I have to sink so many hours into them and usually skip other games that come out, but at the same time as of right now I won't be playing any other games until MGS:V comes in September. Which gives me four months to play it. Which is a hefty amount of time. Also if I act fast with BestBuy I would get my next game $10 cheaper. Though I will say it looks visually beautiful. The biggest thing stopping me is the fact I haven't touched 1 and 2 and I feel that would lessen the experience.

http://imgur.com/a/lSkYJ#0

It does look beautiful though. Normally I would rent games like this.....but its hard to rent an RPG. I can't just beat it in a week or two.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby jloco11 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Treehugger wrote:I'm honestly on the fence.

I dislike RPGs mostly because I have to sink so many hours into them and usually skip other games that come out, but at the same time as of right now I won't be playing any other games until MGS:V comes in September. Which gives me four months to play it. Which is a hefty amount of time. Also if I act fast with BestBuy I would get my next game $10 cheaper. Though I will say it looks visually beautiful. The biggest thing stopping me is the fact I haven't touched 1 and 2 and I feel that would lessen the experience.

http://imgur.com/a/lSkYJ#0

It does look beautiful though. Normally I would rent games like this.....but its hard to rent an RPG. I can't just beat it in a week or two.

I've been reading the reviews so far, and almost all the sites have given it glowing reviews.

There are some knocks on it, but they all praise the additional shit that the game allows you to do like exploring and hunting. But the story has been bland so far, and that's been the 1 knock on it. But hey, playing Destiny for so long, who gives a fuck about storylines these days :lol:
jloco11

Postby Mi2Lethal » Tue May 12, 2015 5:47 pm

I love open world games and this has a Red Dead Redemption look to it with swords and magic.
But there are so many games coming out and you can only play so many.
I might pick it up at some point later when I am bored.
Mi2Lethal
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:35 pm

TSA have posted a review roundup, with everything scoring it pretty highly
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2015/05/12/ ... -round-up/
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Neoroman » Tue May 12, 2015 8:12 pm

I wanted to get into Witcher 2 but the control scheme was fucking god-awful; seeing as how virtually nothing has changed in that regard, I'm gonna have to give 3 a pass. I want to do Geralt things, but not at the speed and efficiency of a drunk hobo.
"Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change."

Neoroman
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Anybody interested, the original games are currently on sale for stupid amounts of money http://www.gog.com/promo/the_witcher_fr ... omo_160515
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Treehugger » Tue May 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Well just got my copy of Witcher 3 and have played it for a couple of hours. The soundtrack is amazing...it comes with a physical copy so yay. The scenery and graphics are beautiful....I found myself exploring and looting everything....and plucking every bush. Literally the first 30 minutes I was just grabbing items and shit for alchemy or something. No clue what the shit does, but I'm grabbing everything. The cutscenes are nice and flawless and so are the characters.....now for the combat. I can't judge the game based on previous witcher titles. However the combat/movement feels slightly sluggish. I don't want to say clunky because its not that bad, but it definitely could be improved. Though to be fair my first fight I got slaughtered because I was in Bloodborne mode and trying to use R1....which isn't a sword attack its how you throw bombs...which I had none. Parrying is L2 not L1....which made me take a few more hits. Even the dodging and rolling seem a little unrefined. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Bloodborne, where the controls and combat are tight and flawless. I felt in absolute control of my character. So far its pretty good, but sometimes I feel they could have polished it a little better. Definitely worth the $50 bucks I spent.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:35 pm

I got the humongous Collector's Edition today. Not played much of it yet, still running through the tutorials, but very much liking it. Although Geralt's new haircut bothers me for some reason.

If it's anything like the original Witcher, expect combat to be far more about tactics than pace. But I shall find out for myself soon enough.

edit: scratch that, his hair is back to normal now. Crisis over.

Also, I thought the patch was supposed to fix the framerate issues? Gameplay seems fine, but there's some noticable jitter in cut scenes.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Games