My impressions of The Division beta

Gaming Forum For Multi-Platform Games

Re: My impressions of The Division beta

Postby SmellyUndies » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm

jloco11 wrote:
SmellyUndies wrote:Nope, I lose 2 days coming home because of the janky route we take.
I leave Kelowna/Fly outta B.C on the 19th and have 12 hours in LA before my flight which is at 11:55pm 19th. That's an 8 hr flight to Tahiti, 2 hours there plus another 4 hr flight, whatever wait time in Auckland til my domestic flight home and then I arrive back 5:30pm on the 22nd.

The only upside to having 12 hrs in LA is we might rent a Ford Mustang GT Convertible for the day which literally only costs $74 NZD or like $50 USD. That's really cheap for a car to cruise in all day.
Only issue is storing the ski bags somewhere else lol

You spent a couple thousand dollars mountain hopping, and you guys skimped out on the flights home? :lol: If you were in BC, you should have just gone out of Vancouver International... I know there are direct flights to Sydney out of Vancouver because the stopover from NYC to Sydney is Vancouver.

And I would assume Australia would send some flights out to New Zealand, since you're like the only 2 civilizations in that part of the world!

As an FYI, there is no such thing as "cruising" around LA. It's called sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. Unless you plan on riding along the coast, your going to just sit in traffic for hours in LA. I don't know what you can do about your ski bags, but I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend renting a car if you plan on seeing LA.

We are flying out from Vancouver, leaving Kelowna on my morning and then Van - LA flight after.
But yeah they really skimped on International flights. Tahiti airport is on par to how shit Fiji airport is (last time we did this ski trip we skimped there too and stopped over in Fiji airport for 4 boring hours).

I've been through LA enough times, only change is there is more fucking pollution lol. When we were in LA a few weeks ago stopping over we rented an SUV for like 5 hours and drove up Hollywood Blvd for shits and giggles and bought some glorious In N Out burgers. There was at least 80 people there WTF, weren't that many there 8 years ago lol.

I only want to go see some Vans and Converse stores in LA, maybe a good electronics shop for a new laptop. It's just that we have 12 hours in LA and for $75 we can have a Mustabf for the day
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Postby Musashi1596 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:20 pm

So I've dabbled a bit in the open beta, I am liking it so far. I actually quite like the shooting mechanics for the most part, and I didn't think the boss of the mission was too bad either. However, I have similar concerns about the potential lack of variety with missions. In particular, there seems to be very little in the way of interacting with the environment to open up new options, which is going to be a problem in the long run. That's what I'm most worried about.

I've not tried the PvP yet but so far impressions are decent enough, but there's a lot of room for improvement, and it's not the sort of improvement that can just be added on a whim. So my money is on a decent game, but not a great one.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thebigb59 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:50 pm

Having played both the open and closed beta's (might of been the alpha if ubisoft wasn't on the end of ms nob) and this is my opinon

The was some slight differences between the two builds, for me the open beta seemed more brighter. The missions are dangerously repeative, the medical wing is either hostage or find a cure. The side missions do offer an distraction.

I think the big draw will be the darkzone, where the most fun can be had. Yesterday Musashi did an execution on a player who decided to jump us in the extraction zone, once his buddies was dealt with, he was the last one left and got an shotgun to the face.

When I went in the zone with Haytred some rogues started shooting at us and tried to run away, I sniped the little bastard and Haytred finished him off.

I hope that when the full game does come out, that there is more variety, from the size of Manhattan they have plenty of space to do more missions, I hope they aren't just rinse and repeat missions from the first area.
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:46 pm

The game has potential but I do wonder if the game will offer much variety. The choice to mix up RPG customisation for different play styles could definitely be good. Co-op is good fun being able to assist team mates in different ways and helping them flank opponents. PvP is good fun although I find a lot of people seem very resistant to 'going rogue' as it's frowned upon, not sure why. If you can pull it off successfully the game gives you good rewards. If not, the game rewards whoever takes you down with a bounty. Pretty cool system, might need a bit of tweaking to prevent spawn camping though.

But from what I've seen so far if you don't like firearms which are assault rifles or sniper rifles there's nothing else that is effective. Melee is broken, I punch enemies and it does no damage, only AI have close combat weapons and shotguns seem a bit useless from what I've seen so far. A lot less interaction with the environment than I would have wanted. The location and story don't interest me much either. So yes, fun but needs a bit of work.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby jloco11 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:17 am

So I did my initial review and thoughts on the closed beta (for the 3 hours I played)... and will say that most of that still holds true.

But this time I had a shitload more time to play (I think 20 hours). I got to rank 8 in the PvE part, and did all the repetitive missions. Nothing different, just an extra mission.

I spent most of the time in the Dark Zone, solo and in full parties. I will say that after hitting level 12, getting 2 amazing guns (I was just melting people), I ran out of shit to do. Of course this is only a beta, there will be more in the game after this... but a good portion of this reminds me of Destiny.

Remember when the Destiny beta ran for a week and there was nothing to really do? And then when you hit max level, you basically ran the raid over and over again because there was nothing to do? I feel like the Division is going to be the same. There is only so much you can do in the Dark Zone against enemy players or the AI. It's going to turn into a collection game, like Destiny.... how much content can you gather doing the same thing over and over again.

Do I really want another Destiny? Do I want a limited game, that has 3 "expansion" packs already announced, considering the closed off portion of the map is not much larger than what we see already?

Personally, I see this game being fun for a few weeks to a month... then becoming a grind until new content releases. If I have nothing to play, I could play this. But if something better comes along, I would drop the game. Uncharted 4 is coming a month after this, so essentially this is a game to hold me over for 1 month.
jloco11

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Good points, I'm not too keen either. No close combat has annoyed me a bit. And what happens if your friends are level 18 and you're level 4. Does that lock you out from joining them?
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby jloco11 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Lieutenant Fatman wrote:Good points, I'm not too keen either. No close combat has annoyed me a bit. And what happens if your friends are level 18 and you're level 4. Does that lock you out from joining them?

We had that issue with Bikecrazy... he was rank 7 and getting a DZ mismatch error and not getting into a party with us.

But last night, Smelly figured that he could get into my party as a level 7 by pretty much accepting the fact he was underleveled in my DZ.

Granted, level 7 to level 12 is not a major difference compared to a 10+ level difference in friends, so that remains to be seen how badly we would get matched up. Shit, the first night I played, I was a level 3 getting killed by a level 11 already so the game was matching me up with higher level people right off the bat.

But the question about leveling is going to be a real challenge when the game is released. Getting lower level players up to speed in the DZ has to be addressed evenly, because a level 20 player should not be in rooms with level 5 players... and a level 5 player is going to get stomped by level 20 players or AI.
jloco11

Postby Mi2Lethal » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:47 am

From what I played which was about 3-4 hours of the beta, I enjoyed the two story missions but that was about it really.
Played in the DZ for a bit and spent most of it running around without much action or knowing what to do to be honest.

I think this game will be incredibly boring (at least the multiplayer aspect of it) if you play it solo which is something I have to watch out for since 99% of my gaming is done solo. This wasn't a problem with Destiny since I could just head into the Crucible alone and kick ass. Even with friends the DZ would probably get pretty boring after a while. Plus two other big games which I am certain I'll get (Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3) releases in April, adding The Division to the list will simply be too much.

So in the end this will be another one of those games that I buy at some point just for the campaign but as of right now it will go in my 'Will play it later when I don't have other things to do' list.
Mi2Lethal
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 am

I tried out going rogue in the dark zone a few times to get a feel for the PvP. Which apparently makes me an awful person, but lol, there you go. Seems to work pretty well for the most part. Certainly could do with some tweaking but I like the idea of it.

I think perhaps more of an obvious large reward for taking down those who do go rogue would make things more interesting, maybe have some proper bounty hunters patrolling the city. And reduce people accidentally going rogue / being tricked into going rogue.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:01 pm

As I see it, the problem with going rogue is there isn't enough incentive for either party. For the party going rogue, sure you can potentially grab some gear from the suckers you just killed, but you have to be damn quick about getting out of there because everyone is going to know where you are as soon as you start, and it's very hard to shake the moniker if people continue to engage. For other people, there's not really that good of a reward for taking down rogue players. Ideally, the reward would be boosted, but it would be tougher to find them.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Games